Your sightings. Great British Birdwatch

Morning all,

Completed my hour yesterday morning. Quieter than previous years but saw;

Robin x2, House Sparrow x6, Bluetit x6, Great tit x3, Starling x3, Black bird x3, Wood Pidgeon x2,

My 'star' visitors included a Nuthatch X1, a Great Spotted Woodpecker X1, and Chaffinch x2.

Usual but missing visitors include Long tailed tits and Collared Doves.

A Sparrow Hawk almost made my list as he missed a kill and perched on my feeder to commiserate himself for a few seconds before flying off but I had finished the count by then!!

Anything dramatic or interesting happen in your count?

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,295

I'm doing mine tomorrow- very grateful for the extra day this year as I  was ill yesterday and busy today. I would love to see a nuthatch - my favourite bird - in my garden, but doubt it'll ever happen!

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,588

I was too late to receive the 'pack' but I will do it anyway - as it's not raining I might make some brunch and sit at the kitchen table and do it. I hope my Jays, Woodpeckers or even the SparrowHawk will make an appearance... let you know! 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Hope your feeling better soon LG. The nuthatch really is such a beautiful bird - and a brazen little thing too - greedily trying to fit 3 peanuts into his tiny beak before flying away!

Aunty Rach - you don't need the pack to take part - just go to rspb.co.uk and find the great British birdwatch page and then click - submit results. The pack doesn't really contain anything essential to take part just a bit more information. You can also download the 'pack' online if you want to. I managed to download it to my mobile with awful internet connection so definately managable. 

Thanks Jonesk - I thought so. If I am not sure on the Bird I.D. - I write a description and have a research after the hour Is up. Better dust-off the 'bins'...

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,074

I swear they know when I am planning to do mine! To be honest we don't get many small birds in our garden, altough l have seen a wren now and again. All the robins, blackbirds and magpies seem to have vanished, and even the pigeons that raid the food disappear.

Needless to say, when l looked out in the following hour, there were 2 pigeons sitting on the wall, as if to say "is it safe to come back yet?" image

Never mind, the form will go back anyway - I found mine in one of the gardening magazines. 

Same here AnniD - I'm thinking that eveyone in the street is doing the watch ... and they have have better treats on offer?! 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,074

Could well be - they must have run out of treats though, as the magpies, blackbirds & sparrows are back now !

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,545

WE DIDN’T GIVE THEM THEIR USUAL MORNING FEED AND WAITED UNTIL LUNCHTIME. SO EVERYBODY WAS HUNGRY.

FAILED TO SEE THE LONG TAILED TITS, WHICH WERE THERE YESTERDAY, DITTO THE GREATER SPOTTED WOODPECKER, BUT GOT

GOLDFINCHES, A “SQUABBLE” (INDETERMINATE NUMBER BUT ALL IN THEIR USUAL HUFF ABOUT SOMETHING) SHOULD BE A “CHARM” BUT A LESS APPROPRIATE COLLECTIVE NOUN I HAVE NEVER SEEN.

GREENFINCH, TREECREEPER,  WREN, SISKIN, COAL TIT, x 1

ROBIN, PHEASANT, BULLFINCH,  DUNNOCK, CROW, MAGPIE x 2

BLACKBIRD, COLLARED DOVE, JACKDAW, ROOK x 4

WOOD PIGEON, BLUE TIT, GREAT TIT X 6

AN AVERAGE DAY.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,127

AnniD, I anticipated that problem the first time I did the bird count.  So rather than telling myself "the hour starts now",  I start the clock when the first bird turns up. Of course, you still risk that you won't see another until 65 minutes later.  But that doesn't matter - it's not a competition for who gets the most birds in their garden.  

• For the first time in years I am not participating in the RSPB garden watch. 

I recently saw the results of the 2017 garden watch in a magazine however we were disappointed that they didn't bother to include Channel Islands results but had all the u.k. results and also The Scilly Islands too - (it is just the same with the BBC weather guide that doesn't include the C.I's even though we pay t.v. license).

However I applaud those who do take part - the article in the mag. (I think it was the RSPB's edition), it did make a very interesting read all the same.