Supermarket chives

B3B3 Posts: 11,400

I bought a nice big pot of healthy-looking chives in Sainsbury's yesterday. Should I wait for the soil to warm up a bit before I plant them out, or can I do it now?

I 've had some success with planting sm herbs in the past but I usually buy them later in the year.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

I'd wait a bit ... It's still quite cold oout there and the chives you have will have been 'forced' in mild conditions. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 11,400

Thanks Dove. I'll find some room for them in the porch - somewhere!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

When you plant them split them into several clumps ... they'll soon multiply and you'll have loads.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 11,400

Will do. I love the flowers and can't bear to pick them off so I don't get so many leaves to eat. A few extra plants would be good.image

• I love the flowers too. They dry well so you could pick a few to enjoy in the dark days of winterimage

Or you can use as edible flowers - but I can't bear the thought of eating flowers!