Bucket list

I have spent the last 10 days on a boat with mainly over 27's.  It has been interesting in that most of them are crossing things off their bucket list, one by one. The Northern Lights are a major feature, it seems, along with snorkelling or diving the Great Barrier Reef.  The major one I have on my list now is the Galapagos Islands, and Machu Pichu.

What do you have on yours? What do you want to do before the cranky knees and bad hips catch up with you?

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,050

A flight in a glider, don't mind where, I would just like to experience the sensation. Whale watching, it would be fantastic to see them breach. Would also love to visit Nepal and see the Himalayas close up.

Fidget, hope you get to see Macchu Pichu, try to do the Inca Trail first, it's a fabulous experience.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,280

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,841

A two week holiday on Mars - and I'm not dying till I've had it! :)

scroggin - gliding is the most wonderful experience. My dad used to take me to North Weald gliding club when I was younger. So stable, so beautiful and just the sound of the wind whistling over the wings. Pure magic! I secretly arranged for a flight for my mum for her 70th birthday - she was terrified initially, but loved it.
    Go for it!!

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
    Because if you do it today and you like it - you can do it again tomorrow.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,241

Before I die , I'd like to live another 30 years.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,882

I've done most of the things I ever wanted to do ... to ride through Doone Valley on horseback was a dream fulfilled ... I've  no great ambitions to go anywhere in particular ... I live in a beautiful part of the world and holiday in another  ... what I want to do more than anything is to carry on doing what I do, and get better at it. 

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,107
    Hostafan1 says:

Before I die , I'd like to live another 30 years.image

See original post

I sincerely hope you do sweetie, along with me? (can’t see that happening) 

Pete, when I was a little girl my Dad would save a couple of bob through the week and take me and my mum out to North Weald aerodrome for a cup of tea and a cake in the old NAFFI building on a Sunday afternoon. We had a motorbike and sidecar The excitement of that trip if he told me before hand that we would be going.  Don’t suppose it’s recognisable now.  

I have nothing on my list except to be healthy and enjoy a few more years. 

I’ve taken horses through the Doone Valley, Dove, lovely up on Exmoor, more wild than Dartmoor. . 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,220

Good answer Punkdoc! I think being healthy is my biggest aim, and happy whenever humanly possible.

I would like a Northern Lights experience as a luxury choice, but really it's the little things like spending time with my neieces, making a difference to my patients and having my own garden to retreat too are the things I will cherish when I look back. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • SolentmanSolentman Posts: 74

It can take a mulberry about ten years to mature and fruit from seed, they don't like to be messed about with once established and like there roots to be damp and the crown in dappled shade.

You will only get a few flowers and fruit at first but as the tree matures your get more, I worked in a garden many years ago and we had two mulberry tress about 50 years old and would get quite good results from them most years.

My thing is stay healthy  live as long as possible just enjoying life and the gardens of the world. 

Last edited: 28 January 2018 12:09:05

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 683

Oh dear. Ten years ago, there was no such thing as the bucket list. Now, everyone has to have one, to go with the collection of books telling you about the 100 or even 1,000 books you must read, paintings you must see, films you must watch, music you must hear, and places you must go before you die.  All to make us spend money we haven't got on things we don't need, so publishers and the tourism industry can enrich their shareholders and the moneylenders.  Meanwhile, we are all to become ever less content because we haven't undergone as many of these indispensable experiences as our neighbours or workmates.  I for one refuse to play this ghastly game.  I find the older I get, the more I enjoy simplicity and frugality.

I remember overhearing a conversation that went something like:

"I want to visit the Maldives before the ocean covers them."

"Yes, and the irony is, you'll go by plane, so it will happen that bit sooner."

• Hazel -1Hazel -1 Posts: 4,592

Only one thing on my bucket list- to wake up every morningimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,280

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,050

I don't see a problem with a Bucket List. It depends on your asperations and what stage you are in life. One of mine was to see the sunrise from the top of a mountain, I didn't need to burn any air miles or get myself into debt. Everyone's 'Bucket List' will be different and what's wrong with a bit of light-hearted day dreaming.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,111

One of the things I want to do is learn to ice skate backwards. I need to do it before my hips give out.

I can go forwards and stop easy enough, or at least I used to be able to.image

Not everything needs to be expensive, just do it while you still can.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,142

I want my best suit cleaned and ironed, I am not going to the great Parade ground in the sky scruffy.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,934

How do you know we won't be naked, Frank? image

I don't have a bucket list. I've done quite a few of the things I wanted to do, like gallop on a beach (did that in Ireland with my daughter), holiday in Corsica, visit the Beth Chatto garden and Bressingham Gardens, go to Venice with a man I love, ditto Tuscany and Florence. I've been to New York and seen the man I love singing with his choir in Carnegie Hall and then we saw Impressionist paintings in the New York Met art gallery and walked in Central Park.

I would have liked to move back to England, but my children and grandchildren all live in France so we have done the next best thing and bought a little cottage in Norfolk and spend time in France and England.

The main thing is good health and a happy life for me and my family.

Busy Lizzy image NAKED "yikes" No I will be as the photo on the mantle my cleaning lady admires as she dusts it, WO1 best uniform every crease in place and master of all I survey. My bucket list was empty years ago it now contains one wish to never leave this beautiful Country ever again. Seen it done it, had highs many, lows a few, had excitement, too much at times boredom sometimes. In other words I am happy with my lot. My Daughter loves going on cruises and has begged me to go with them, I did many and we called them Troop Ships plus many North sea crossings to the Hook, Hamburg, and even once in the Black Sea, I am cruised out.

A good crop of Tomato's, seeing my Peony's bloom, travelling around our wonderful area Yorkshire Derbyshire Durham Northumberland and the lakes all within a days travel and back to my own warm bed, that is me.

"Err" was that travelling with one love or is there a story to it?

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,032

I don’t have a bucket list nor do I want one. I just want to live long enough to see both my boys settled and happy then my maker can have me.

Before my husband died we had all sorts of plans for our retirement and the all seem so trivial now. The Nile cruise we were going to have, the trip back to the hotel where we met and the lazy days sunning ourselves on a hot beach mean nothing to me now.

i am happy in my garden and home with my cats and boys. I hope to one day watch my boys fall in love and marry. It would be nice to live long enough to see a grandchild or two but if that is not what they want I am ok with that too. As long as they are happy with their life choices.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,934

""Err" was that travelling with one love or is there a story to it?" - Frank asked on previous page. Answer, the travelling was with 2nd OH. I've had 2 loves, but first one died when I was 47, otherwise the trip to Venice might have been with him. We were too busy bringing up our 4 children then, more family holidays than romantic ones. I was devastated when I lost him but years later I met my 2nd love.

Busy Lizzie, Sorry I was just being nosy, my love of many years passed away seven years ago next month, not a day goes past without I think of her and the wonderful romantic times and places we saw together.

Joan was a ten day girl, ten days anywhere and she was ready for home. Flying home from a month with my Daughter and Grandchildren in California we had a very bad flight. I was used to it having had some scary military flights and slept most of the way for which I got my ears burned, "How could you sleep in that etc." Landing at Heath Row after having to go round again she told me that was it she would never fly again. problem we had to fly to Teesside. I offered to cancel the flight and we would get the train but she hid her fears and we flew home in a small plane where all was peace and calm  but that was it, never again meant exactly that.

I did have a bucket list having been to Lands End many times I had never been to John O Groats, my Daughter knowing this planned and took me on Holiday to Inverness where we did the battlefields and J.O.G then down the Great Glen Ben Nevis and on to Loch Lomond, The Sun shone on us all every day and it was one of the best Holidays apart from Joan not being with me. I would go back.

Sussex Sun I do know how you feel and having been down the Nile can tell you it is not the place we see on the pictures, Luxor is purely tourist even back then, flies stink beggars and danger, we were armed but tourists are not a disappointment best to live with your dreams.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,094

No bucket list as such.  There are plenty of things I'd like to do and if they happen they happen.  If they don't they don't.  No point in getting wound up about things.

We had always 'planned' in the losest sense to go to New Zealand for a month around my 60th birthday.  That was scuppered when the banks crashed and took our savings with them.  I'd worked for RBS for many years and the vast majority of our savings were in the Share Save scheme. 

The dates we had pencilled in, had the trip happened, would have put us in Christchurch on the day of the massive earthquake, so maybe fate took a hand.

I've seen too many friends make plans for the long term only to see them shattered for one reason or another, to do more than live for the now.