Tomatoes

Hi All, last summer my tomatoes in my polytunnel started off well, with strong sturdy plants. As the season progressed they ended up like Christmas trees wide at the bottom and thin and spindly at the top. They had plenty of light and heat and Imthought Inhad prepared the beds well.

Does this Sound like not enough nutrients?, if so what is the best Tom food to use.

thanks

tracie

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,899

Did you pinch the tops out at all, I use any old tomato feed, never had any problems.  I must admit I havent grown any indoors for a few years.  3 years ago, we had very hot day, normal temp at night, got blossom end rot, now always grow outdoors.  I gave my son a sweet aperitif, and he managed to keep it in his kitchen, for 9 months, it did go spindly, but carried on producing fruit.

• No, did not pinch out tops, I have not done that before.

if you put some calcium in your planting hole it helps considerably with blossom end rot.

thanks

tracie

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,899

Course Tracie I wasnt expecting that paricular March to be so hot in the day, they had a dose of epsom salts and they were then OK, but grow much better in my veg plot.