Forum home The potting shed

plastic bags

Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305

Seeing the blue planet, i've been trying to cut down on plastic bags to put in fruit and veg at supermarkets. One of the options is taking our own and re use.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I made a load of shopping bags from off-cuts of fabric. They work well for loose veg but too much comes pre-packed

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

I can't see us going back to paper for sacks of compost. I used to fetch John Innes compost from a seed merchants as a kid. A stone in a small bag in very thick paper. Trouble is it needed a lot of trips  to get enough for the tomatoes. Large plastic sacks on a pallet delivered is much better.  I do reuse the sacks several times.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Things are slowly beginning to change.

Morrisons for example only sell 100% British meat in their butchery department. They employ butchers to cut the joints not box openers. The pork chops are reared by british farmers, the meat is sold to Morrison’s who employ in house butchers who prepare the meat, some they cut and put in the meat isle but you can as order directly from the meat counter where a butcher will cut you a joint of beef or tray of chops.

other supermarkets might be buying pork from eastern europe and shipping it into their stores but not all and it is up to us consumers to support the stores who are making the changes we say we want.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305

Yes i agree with you all, but i don't think we will go back to paper bags. Got to have more recycled plastic or biodegradable bags.