Don't disturb the hedgehog!

I haven't been able to go out into my garden for over 2 years and it has become extremely overgrown. I now feel well enough to tackle it but am very worried about disturbing the wildlife it contains. I get lots of birds, butterflies & bees throughout the year but my biggest concern is that I have a hibernating hedgehog under my massive buddleia. How do I sympathetically cut it back without destroying my lovely little friends home? Any ideas?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,789

I would leave well alone for now.There is still plenty of time to cut back later,very frustrating when you want to get on with a job though but hoggies come first!! 

My hedgehog has been out and about every night this year so not hibernating much right now.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I agree with the other folk, he'll also appreciate some meat flavoured cat biscuits in Spring if you wish to feed image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Yes, let sleeping hogs lie ... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,446

Yes, let him or her keep snoozing. I know it's frustrating but you can always cut the buddleia back later even if it means losing out on the flowering this year. You are so lucky to have that hedgehog, l haven't seen "mine" for several months,long before he should be hibernating image

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Me too Anni, it's really sad to see them leave as it can mean breaking the breeding chain and no longer having them visit your area. I'm just going to persevere with food and try a feeding station out the front too. 

• Why not try a hedgehog house to rehome him? Keep it in a quiet area (not north facing) with some food and water nearby and he should find it when he wakes up hungry!

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Hogs tend not to wake till the end of March / beginning of April. Can you wait that long? If not, you could transfer him/her to a bespoke shelter (old cardboard box with some straw in a dry spot should do it.