Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberry bare root

I am planning to create a strawberry raised bed for coming season, I ordered some strawberry bareroots to get me started, I was unsure of when the delivery would be. However, I received the dispatch email today.

Am I able to plant them outside from now or do I need to plant them in small pots indoor?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,327

I would plant them out in their final places now.  If you have a greenhouse then you could pot them up and place in there which will bring them on earlier but they won't do well grown inside a house as it is too warm - they are fully hardy and will survive frost once planted.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • seyfadesseyfades Posts: 145

Thank you Bob,

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 344

I reckon they'd be fine in small pots.  they're bought in pots in garden centres, so makes sense.  but that said, i'd build the raised bed and get the pots into the beds soonest so they get used to the soil conditions of their end-destination.

I also bought some b/r strawberries and put them in a raised bed in full sun.  They did grow fine, regards leafage/runners, but i think the soil wasn't suitable for fruiting well.  I've moved them onto some sloped beds, see if they do any better this year.

Thank you UpNorth; I’ve planted them in my raised bed, coveres with double fleece, I did this about 3 weeks ago. I’m hoping the recent cold and frost we’ve had won’t affect them much Since they are covered in fleece.

Will they fruit this year? or will it take some time? 

Yes they should fruit this year, just lesser than perhaps year two.   Also they don't need the fleece, they're fully hardy for UK weather at least.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 668

We planted 12 thousand bare rooted strawberries last year, and they were put in late (May) and they still produced plenty of fruit, so I would think you'll get at least one crop off of each plant this year, and then better next year.

Skandi says:

We planted 12 thousand bare rooted strawberries last year

You must be pretty fed up of Jam right now !

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 668

Ha Ha they were for sale, I only actually made around 10 jars of jam, but at my rate that's still three years or so!

Nothing taste better than homemade strawberry jam.

Would you recommend I create a mini poly tunnel for them. They are in my mini raised beds 35inches by 45 inches?

I have all the items needed to make the cloche, water pipe, clear plastic etc. 

I'd think okay without cloche, but they will ideally have some netting for birds when you see fruits growing.....so ensure you're ready by some means to have netting over easily, but easily removed for picking fruit.