are water retaining crystals the same as dehumidifier crystals?

Nothing seems to say directly that they are, or that they are not, but they seem to do the same thing no? Anyone know if they are? They seem a lot cheaper because you would be buying in bulk...

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,757

No, I'm afraid they're not.
    Dehumidifier crystals are calcium chloride which absorb water. Water retaining crystals are polymer gels that hold water

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NutzeyNutzey Posts: 6

Ah. Thanks for that- wont be buying them for the hanging baskets then ;-)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,757

probably best not to ;)

I use the water-retaining crystals for my hanging baskets, only need 1-2 T-spoons per basket, so if you buy a tub it'll last years (depending on how many hanging baskets you have I suppose...) but keep the lid firmly closed.

Calcium chloride attracts and will hold water, but not let go of it. A bit like dipping a magnet in iron filings, it won't let go of them

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

YesI have used thise water retentive crystals for years and theyhave safe a good few of my hanging baskets and planters, tubs etc..  I know some gardeners use Wall paper paste like Polycell and nix their seeds tobe sown and literally pipe lines of the seed to keep it moist and evenly spaced.. works for me.. When you buy plug plants its in the base of the trays too.