Forum home The potting shed

Osiria Rose

I gave just moved to Suffolk and have a large East facing garden. I have found a bag of 20 Osiria Rose seeds probably bought by my late husband some 5+ years ago. Will they germinate now? How do I  set abut doing this and if succesful where should I plant them out?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'm not familiar with this rose but having looked at the photos on google images I'm surprised to hear it makes seeds. Do you know where they came from? There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers about, selling any old rubbish as a fancy plant (Google 'Rainbow Roses' for an example), these only exist through a photo manipulation programme.

If they came from Osira, they won't seed true if the germinate but you might get something interesting. Just sow them in some gritty compost and wait

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,630

As Nutcutlet says, if the seeds came from an Osira rose you won't get flowers like an Osira as it is a hybrid. 

If you are after the 'two tone' petals you could take a look at Rose 'Handel' ... I know from experience that this grows well in Suffolk gardens and is a repeat flowering climber.

https://www.classicroses.co.uk/handel-climbing-rose.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks. I really dont mind what colour they are. It's just sentimental having found them after so long not to be able to see them grow.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,630

Well, give them a go then ... you've nothing to lose image

I'd put them in a pot of gritty compost and leave them outside in a sheltered corner .... it may take 12 months before you see anything, but when you do let us know image

Enjoy Suffolk ... my home county image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Is it ok outside now? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,578

Yes, put them outside now, they need cold to germinate.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.