Forum home The potting shed

Trays for turf/ grass

I have a couple of pet rabbits and want to grow some turf or grass in trays that the rabbits can use to feed on. 

Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

Any recommendations on minimum size and depth?

I have a roof that is approx 60cm x 4m which I will fill with trays, with a couple spare and just keep swapping them over. They'll grow on the roof and the spare ones will be used to feed. The turf will always be in the trays.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,579

The only problem with that is that it gives domestic rabbits the trots. 

Do it if you want, I wouldn’t.  They are best kept off too much fresh green stuff. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• What do you mean? My vet, and every thing that I've read still says that grass is the best food they can eat and should be 80-90% of their diet. Better than hay and any rabbit food.

• Hi Grassknoll

I presume the vets knows what he's saying, so give it a go 

Fill a shallow seed tray with John Innis or sieved top soil. Add some Hort sharp sand for improved drainage. Scatter grass seed on top and sieve top soil over to cover. Water in using a fine rose watering can and place in a greenhouse or on a window cill. Do not let the seeds go dry. Should germinate in about 2 weeks if in a warmish climate 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

I use the method described by Steve with the addition of the clear propagator lid as I have mine outside. It also helps keep the birds and squirrels at bay. 

i use the turf as instant replacement for the pee-scorched areas from the dog. 

• Hi,

Just be careful with keeping itboutside and unprotected from frost. At present most grass is dormant and will not start growing until it starts to warm up. New grass seed could be effected by a sharp frost 

• Thanks for all your comments so far. No one has mentioned the depth of the tray so I assume that's not a major issue.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054
    GrassyKnoll says:

Thanks for all your comments so far. No one has mentioned the depth of the tray so I assume that's not a major issue.

See original post

I use a regular seed tray which I think are around 6cm deep. So a soil depth of 4-5cm.