Forum home The potting shed

What's in flower in your garden now?

imageimageimage Haven't seen my garden in daylight since last weekend so am extremely pleased to come home early from work today to find lots of buds on my favourite hellebore, primroses are out and the irises are flowering in front of my patio door!! Yesss! Spring is on it's way!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443

Isn't it lovely to have all these signs of spring.  I've got the same as you,  plus lots of snowdrops ... plus Clematis Freckles, Viburnum bodnantense,  violas and Vinca major!

Last edited: 25 January 2018 15:57:29

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dave125dave125 Posts: 158

My Iris are nowhere near flowering yet. Apart from the usual Snowdrops, Skimmia, Cyclamen and Hellebores a Hebe bush is producing some pretty flowers, not sure what type it is nor if that's usual for January in Cheshire.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Snowdrops, january daffs, hellebore niger, hazel catkins and a randomly late/early Canterbury bell 

Last edited: 25 January 2018 16:58:41

• B3B3 Posts: 14,965

Usual suspects but also potentilla, gazania in bud, dianthus/ carnation -not sure which, hebe - the blue and white one. That's out the front. No idea what's going on out the back. Haven't been down there for weeks

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,484

I don't remember seeing Hebes in flower this time of year before, but I've also seen a couple today.,

• Snowdrops and daffs are showing,but not flowering,as they were planted in early Oct,a bit late. I have rescued an abandoned hybrid Rhododendron,which now has lots of buds,and Primroses have just started to flower.

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Clianthus

Camellia

Hellebore

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,730

Hi Dave,

That Clianthus flower looks nice but... it's known for being a not very hardy plant (RHS H3). Where do you live? Do you have it in the garden or in a GH?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Hi PJ,

We're on the South Coast, Hampshire, and the Clianthus is on a sheltered Southerly facing wall of the detached garage which is close to the house so it is quite well protected from wind and frost. It was there when we moved in 4 years ago but has really come on in that time. 

First pic shows general location and second pic is of it last April. A couple of 'winters' back it was in pretty much full bloom in December. Just shows how mild it is in recent years.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,730

@Dave,

Splendid!

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).