Forum home Fruit & veg

Blown cauliflowers

Hi all,

For a few yaesr I've tried growing cauli's but they always 'blow'.

They are in good soil and very firmly planted, well as firmly as I can manageimage.

No matter what I try they always fail.

Anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Thanks everyone image

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,833

What variety are you growing? One of the problems with some of the new F1 types is though you benefit from hybrid vigour and modern characteristics they tend to all mature at once. If you cant crop them in time they simply run to seed before you can cut them all. Look at the descriptions in the seed catalogues try to get one that matures over a long period. (Though most only quote one to two months harvest period). I have to say Cauliflowers are one of the most difficult Brassica crops to do well with. I mostly stick to green calabrese Cabbage & Sprouts. I find  Rockdust or Remin - crushed  Volcanic rock as a mineral base  dressing seems to help all  brassicas produce good tight heads.  Erratic amount of water can also be a problem. A lot of my fellow plot-holders had this with Cabbage this year when we had heavy rain after a dry spell.

Last edited: 25 January 2018 11:19:02

AB Still learning

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,468

I always have caulis with loose heads as well. I think they grow best in an open aspect with plenty of light in the day. My plot gets too much shade so I grow Brukale flower sprouts  and broccoli  spears instead.

• Hi Ian, I think it was a variety called 'All year round' I tried. I live in northern Scotland so there is plenty of rain image.

My cabbage, sprouts and broccoli all did well, the caulies were the only disaster! I like the sound of the rockdust though, I've swithered about using it before.

Hi fidgetbones, the site is in sun all the time, well when the sun shines it is image, even in winter its in sunlight. We do get very long days in summertime this far north.

I am surprised as All year round is a good old variety. Maybe it is erratic water supply.

AB Still learning

• I've grown "All year round" (if they are the same) and I wont grow them again as there are several more tasty varieties. 

I was thinking the same why not try some of the other varieties.

AB Still learning

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

There are some 'long season' mixes around which are worth trying - for example, this one contains 3 varieties:

https://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Vegetables/Vegetable+Seeds/Cauliflower+Seeds/Cauliflower+Seeds+-+Successional+Harvest+Mix+F1_434367.htm

Hopefully, at least one of them will grow well for you and if all 3 do you will have an extended season without having to successionally sow (which doesn't always work well depending on the weather.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Thanks Bob  for the useful link. BTW has anyone else noted that the Organic catalogue & seed  business  has been taken over by Dobies. As you probably know Dobies is part of the Suttons group let's hope it's a positive step.

AB Still learning