Forum home The potting shed

Gardner's World Digital Edition subscription

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of taking a Gardner's World magazine subscription but not sure whether to go for the digital or paper version.

Its £67 a year for the paper version and £41 for the digital. It states:

'**Please note cover mounts and printed supplements are not included with the digital edition'.

I'm happy to go for the digital version but don't want to miss out on any extra articles if these are included in the supplements with the printed version.

Do you get many printed supplements on gardening with the printed version or are the supplements just the usual advertising leaflets?

Also do you get any free stuff with the printed version?

Many Thanks image

Last edited: 24 January 2018 18:48:09

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,735

I feel it's rather mean of Gardener's World not to give the digital edition for free to subscribers to their paper edition! The same goes for Gardens Illustrated to which I subscribe.

On the other hand I subscribe to 2 French magazines, including one gardening magazine and both allow free access to their digital edition to paper edition subscribers.

After all, the online edition costs next to nothing to the publishers...

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 596

Hi Kili,

If you have a hunt around on the internet you will find offer codes / promotions that will mean you'll get your subscription at a much better price.

I subscribe to the paper version. It usually comes with a "subscribers only" leaflet with features and offers. Last year one of these was for a free hose reel for just the cost of the postage. It was on a first come first served basis as there was limited stock .... I was lucky enough to get one. They also periodically send out free seeds and useful gardening info booklets  .... and a really nice calendar.

I make good use of the 2 for 1 gardens visits card which is also sent out and lasts a full year. I'm not sure if you would get this with a digital version. 

So, I think it's good value for money. I pass my copy on to a gardening friend  ... and give away any seeds I won't use. 

Hope this is helpful.

Bee 

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • I subscribe to the paper version there’s nothing quite like the plop on the doormat when the postman brings the new copy.

Just like Be Witched I like the free seeds, 2for 1 garden entry, and the lovely calender.

• KiliKili Posts: 364

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Given what you've all said I think I'll go with the good old paper version. image

Many Thanks

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • But the digital version is a lot cheaper, er so how can you expect to get the same offers.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,735

IanC63 wrote "I would suggest though if one pays for the digital subscription shouldn't you expect all the things that those who pay (I'm assuming the same price) for the paper edition?"

In my previous message I expressed the reverse opinion: if you pay for the paper edition you should get the digital edition for free. French magazines do it, why not English ones?image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).