Forum home Problem solving

Advice on pond cleaning etc.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,422

I usually clean out my pond completely once a year usually in March or thereabouts.

Last autumn I covered the pond with netting to catch leaves and when I removed it last week found the water so clear I could see the bottom.I twirled a stick on the bottom and found there was very little silt etc.I used barley straw logs and Sludge Answer and this has kept blanket weed at bay.

So this year I am thinking I could maybe 'clean' the pond without emptying it too much and also would not have to catch all the fish! I had intended doing this last year but managed to knock several baskets into the pond with the resulting plants,gravel and soil making so much mess that I did have to start from scratch!!

So some questions:-

1.The waterlily has been in the pot for 2 years,should I re-pot this year or will one more season be OK with some fertiliser?It is currently in a 2 handled bucket/trug so fairy easy to get out with 2 people.

2.The Elodea pond weed seems to be doing OK just sitting on the bottom but it also means I can't manage it without a bit of disturbance but could this be potted up in its own handled trug container rather like the lily,this may make it easier to lift out and tidy up each year.

3.Should I re-pot the marginal plants each year or can I leave for longer (they are all in pots).Some are shooting out already.

4.Can I do any of this now or should I wait a bit?

Comments welcome!

image image image image image

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,422

I was surprised how little 'gunge' was at the bottom.I am hoping it was the Sludge Answer which I used regularly last year.

I think I may put the pond weed in a trug.It may be that it has planted itself in 'gunge' at one end of the pond and I may disturb all that.

I may try to empty the pond to halfway (shelf level) as I can work easily and then refill with fresh water.The fish could then be left alone,I have lots of little ones and catching them all would be very time consuming!

Will probably leave the lily alone this year with just a tidy and feed,it is a dwarf variety (Perry's Baby Red) so not growing huge.

Cleaning the pond is quite exhausting as I am not getting any younger so may try and do it in stages rather than all at once.

My old ground level pond had frog spawn every year but none so far in the raised one.I am growing ivy up the back so hopefully frogs may use this as a ladder.Also have a small wildlife pond.

My Mum has a water butt with ivy growing up the sides and regularly has to get frogs out of the water so It is possible I suppose to get frogs in my pond,I live in hope!!

I have ivy growing up the back of the pond and think it could be used as a ladder.