Forum home The potting shed

Plant label ideas

I normally use plastic labels and a sharpie, but for fun i want to hear other peoples methods of plant labeling.  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,520

WHILE YOU ARE WAITING, YOU COULD TYPE “PLANT LABELS” INTO THE SEARCH BOX AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. LOADS OF IDEAS THERE.

(I DON’T USE PLANT LABELS.)

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,550

Tongue depressors, can be bought in bulk from on line pharmacy suppliers.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

When I had more time , I used to cut up aluminium drink cans into label sized strips , and paint the name on with an artists fine brush using black gloss !

They lasted for years and never rusted , but thinking about it , I was pretty sad really .

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,621

I use plastic labels & a soft 3B pencil you can scrub of the writing with a pan scourer & a little water. They get reused till they break. I also have stated to use tie on  aluminium labels on some of the perennials I used to just stick the label in that came with the plant but they either get  blown away or otherwise disintegrate, and after a few years my memory isn't always good enough to remember exactly which cultivar I have. A lot is unlabelled though. 

AB Still learning

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,459

When my husband is out on his morning walk and I'm still trying to persuade myself to get out of bed, he picks up discarded wooden lolly sticks, chip forks and coffee stirrers.  I write on them with fine-tipped permanent marker.  Biodegradable, costs nothing, tidies up the prom and reinforces matrimonial harmony - what's not to like?

Last edited: 24 January 2018 13:41:45

• I just buy Wilko plastic plant labels 100 for about £1.50 I think. Always use a indelible pen as pencil seems to fade on the labels to soon. Use some fine sandpaper to erase the indelible ink and they are ready to use again, 

• I cut up used ice cream containers and write on them with a sharpie, I’m known as a bit of a Scrooge but I like to recycle things if possible.

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305

I only use labels for my seedlings. Washing up bottles,ice cream cartons and a black marker pen.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,578

Nice to see plastics being recycled.  I use anything I can use never buy any.

my son in law is a fisherman in Cornwall, he takes pot noodles for hot snack when theyre out to sea, they cut up well and the labels are long. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

I am another who uses wilkos labels. I buy a couple of packs when they are reduced in the end of season sale. I tend to only use them on seeds or I forget what is in each tray. Nothing is labelled in the garden apart from a couple of roses when I have attached the label loosely to the rose with garden wire.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.