UV lamps for azalea

Hello!

I recently (yesterday) bought an azalea (Rhododendron simsii). I did my homework and read that these need some sunlight during the winter (along with a cold temperature) in order to bloom.

In winter, there will of course be less sunlight than in summer and other seasons in general. This is why I got the idea of buying a UV lamp for it.

My question is: do any of you have experience with UV lamps, positive or negative? If positive, which one would you recommend? (since I'm 19 and still live with my parents i can spend around 150 euros)

Thank you in advance! <3

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,784

These naturally live outdoors all year and cope with seasonal changes of light.   If you plant it in an appropriate position and with good soil preparation it will thrive.  The great UV lamp in the sky will be more than enough.

If you've bought it as a houseplant I would just enjoy the flowers while they're there and then plant it out as above.  They do not make good long term house plants.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hello!

I've read that these are suited to be indoor plants as well, though? various sites said that these can be grown indoors as long as they get some sun and cool, temperatures in winter, along with making sure the soil stays moist? because I bought this one as a houseplant indeed. I also read that this kind of Rhododendron can be grown inside, as mine is the kind that originated in Japan, where they're both grown indoors and outdoors?

Last edited: 23 January 2018 19:42:37

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,784

Rhodos and azaleas tend to do well in moist atmospheres in valleys and mountainsides.  Growing them as houseplants is challenging as you most likely have central heating which dries the atmosphere and draughts from doors and windows.

Have a read of this info from the RHS and pay particular attention to teh section on your kind of rhodo - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=582

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • thank you for the link!

the radiation part is very true, although i luckily have a few rooms here that don't get any heat and are firly cool.

I'll, have a look at the link, thank you!