Forum home The potting shed

Lawn advice

Could someone tell me when the best time to put down new grass seed after winter.  I've got a few 

large bear spots on a very good lawn. Thanks.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Grass seed needs soil temps of around 9C to germinate so depending on where you are from mid-March onwards. Give the area a gentle rake to create a seed bed first. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,630

I'd leave it until late April/early May, when the soil temperature has warmed up a bit. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ah, didn't see you there Dave ........ I suppose it depends on the temperatures you get in March ... here in Norfolk the North Wind doth blow a lot of the time brrrrrrrrrr image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I was being overly optimistic maybe Dove! I'm on the south coast and it's really mild most winters here. We currently have a Clianthus Puniceus in flower. Crazy. But yes you're right, probably April onwards would be better/ March temps still drop severely overnight which stunts the progress.

• And probably a good sturdy fence to keep the bears off it next year ?

(I’ll get my coat)

Sounds balmy Dave image  I was surprised at how much the temperatures differ here in Norfolk from when I lived in southerly Suffolk image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

BARE spots on a lawn, loosen the surface with a small hand fork couple of inches down then rake it level with the surrounding lawn putting down a fine mix of compost and washed sand if it is needed to level the patch and sow a mix of compost and seed, put plenty on, you can get boxes of patching mix at most Garden Centres, read the packet. Net it or string it against the hungry birds and water well. Sow from April onwards depending on where you are in the country. When the gras has some length cut it with shears or even scissors until well rooted, a mower will tear it out of the ground. Hope this helps.

Dove we are more sheltered than you even though we are on the same coast, I can see the weather barrier on clear days, the Pennine Chain, we tend to miss the heaviest weather from the west. The rising ground up into Durham is shelter from the worst Northerly's although when we get it straight from Siberia watch out. The North Sea is a radiator that keeps us cool in summer and a bit warmer in winter, ten miles inland they cop for the lot.

Frank.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Ken you could do what I did last autumn and sow grass in to nodules or seed trays and place them in the heated GH or on the window sill, Ive got plenty to plant out and cover the patches in early Spring 

I do the same Mark for repairing the damage the dog does when going for a leak!