Police UK

I wonder what other forum members think about our police force these days ?

So far in my recent experience, it would seem that damage to private property and common assault are not matters which the police wish to take action on.

Others experiences would be interesting to hear.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 770

It all comes down to resources I'm afraid to say. 

• dave125dave125 Posts: 62

Never found them to be any benefit or assistance ever, still as a youngster I was beaten up, spat at, sworn to etc by the police several times, as were most youths in our area, and I was law abiding so at least they're a tad better than they were in the 70's.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,004

I THINK, LIKE ALL OTHER PUBLIC SERVICES, THEY ARE HAVING TO SPREAD THEMSELVES TOO THINLY.

OUR LOCAL FORCE IS A RURAL ONE WITH HUNDREDS OF MILES OF FOOTPATHS AND BRIDLEWAYS TO KEEP CLEAR OF OFF ROAD DRIVERS. OUR HOUSE IS ON A COUNTRY LANE, OPPOSITE A NARROW, WALLED BRIDLEWAY WHICH IS POPULAR WITH DOG WALKERS AND HORSE RIDERS. I HAVE SEEN DOG WALKERS PUSHED AGAINST THE WALLS BY 4x4 DRIVERS WITH OBSCURED NUMBERPLATES, QUADBIKES AND TRAIL BIKES. 

THE LOCAL POLICE SET UP A HOTLINE IN RESPONSE TO NEAR ACCIDENTS IN THE AREA. WHEN I SAW A NEIGHBOUR NEARLY PUSHED OVER ON THE GROUND BY A TRAIL BIKER (NUMBER PLATE COVERED IN MUD) I PHONED THE HOTLINE ON HER BEHALF.

”WHY ARE YOU CALLING?” I WAS ASKED. BECAUSE THIS IS THE HOTLINE FOR ILLEGAL OFF ROAD VEHICLES AND I WANT TO REPORT SOMETHING? “ WELL, HOW CAN WE CATCH THE DRIVER IF YOU COULDN’T READ HIS NUMBER? AND EVEN IF YOU DID GET HIS NUMBER, HE WOULD SAY THAT SOMEONE ELSE WAS DRIVING AS HIS FACE IS COVERED WITH A HELMET”. SO, YIU ARE TELLING ME NOT TO BOTHER CALLING IN FUTURE? “MORE OR LESS, YES”.

VOILÀ.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,508

In my very limited dealings with our local constabulary, they were courteous and fair. They came out for a very minor issue quickly enough. 

I think it is a bit like the NHS can be - dealing with individuals you find them committed and doing their best to help as much as they can. But as Joe Public you have to try to deal with the system as a whole, and it can be very frustrating and impersonal as you fall down the gaps between departments.

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,302

Whilst I  can accept that resources will come into it these days, I'm afraid that excuse is trotted out for everything.  I could be old fashioned but I'd always thought that one of the main tenets of a police force was to protect the public - or the "average joe" if you like.

If that is no longer in their remit, then surely chaos/anarchy holds sway ?  Everyone for themselves and b*gger the general good.

Still, perhaps others can offer good experiences of their dealings with the law enforcement agency - as a Goodie rather than as a Baddie I hasten to addimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,004

OUR LOCAL POLICE STATION CLOSED LAST YEAR. THE NEAREST STATION IS NOW SEVEN MILES AWAY. THE POLICE OFFICERS THERE DON’T HAVE AS GOOD A KNOWLEDGE OF ROADS ROUND HERE AND ANY PHONE CALL NOW REQUIRES THEM TO TRAVEL SEVEN MILES OR MORE BEFORE THEY CAN EVEN BEGIN TO HELP THE CALLER.

ROUND HERE, WE TRY TO LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER. WE GREET STRANGERS WHO SEEM TO BE HANGING AROUND OUR ROAD WITH A “HELLO, CAN I HELP YOU? ARE YOU LOST?” SOMETIMES THEY ARE LOST. SOMETIMES THEY SHUFFLE OFF TO A LESS NOSEY ROAD.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,302

Pansy - that is exactly what I found but involving a different scenario......."Don't call us, we'll call you ".

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 770
    philippa smith2 says:

Whilst I  can accept that resources will come into it these days, I'm afraid that excuse is trotted out for everything.  I could be old fashioned but I'd always thought that one of the main tenets of a police force was to protect the public - or the "average joe" if you like.

See original post 

Whilst you might consider it just an excuse unfortunately it is reality. 

Total number of police in 2009 - 144,353

Total number of police in 2016 - 122,859

A fall of over 21,500. n that period the total number of inhabitants of the UK rose of course. 

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,320

Unfortunately I think the Police force has fallen victim to the ' target' system where statistics count for more than true performance. When most towns and villages had a beat copper, they would know their district and would prevent lots of crime, however as most of this would go unrecorded.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,881

One question springs to my mind :-

If the police forces are being underfunded by the government , how come they have impressive fleets of high performance , top of the range vehicles supplied new most years ?

I live on the outskirts of a small town in Lincolnshire ; the nearest police-station (when open) is nine-miles away ; burglary and vandalism is now rife and increasing . Never a policeman around day or night .

The nearest thing I've seen to police (someone in uniform)(!) was a traffic warden booking vehicles for parking on 'double-yellows' yesterday ; the same day a whole row of parked vehicles were 'keyed' !!