The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Hot Chilli Seeds

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 833

I have some saved seeds from this years red hot chillies

I have a conservatory which gets quite hot in the Spring

When should I start them off and in modules or a small pot

Advice please chums image

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,293

You would probably need base heat of some sort to germinate the chilli seeds at this time of year.  If you choose that route, you will need to ensure the correct atmosphere to allow the chillis to continue to grow without suffering from low light levels and all round warmth.

If you delay your sowing until March/April/May ( all depends on what the weather has in store for us this year ), you should end up with more compact plants and eventually more fruit,

Depending on how how many seeds you intend to sow, either small pots or modules would be appropriate.  You can then re pot as necessary until you reach the required pot size. 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 833

Base heat...........I have a heated mat that I got from the pet shop that has just assisted Komatsuna seeds to appear in 4 days.  Is that what you mean

The conservatory does suffer from the sun only really shining in from early morning to just after mid day as the garden faces East

Yep that's about it Newboy.

If you can continue to grow the germinated seed on successfully at this time of year, then by all means carry on .  You are the only one who can decide whether you can provide the necessary conditions  for healthy growth or notimage

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 833

I will delay till March.

One seed supplier and a book i have say that January is Ok but it seems a bit to early to me mainly for the reasons that you state

Great advice and I will take it .

I take it you learnt all you know  from PS1  !!   

• hoegloryhoeglory Posts: 69

my local nursery does a better job than me.  I normally visit them early May and choose a couple of their plants. I did sow chillies in January and looked after them for 5 long months before they were ready to go outside. Not really worth it.

Last edited: 24 January 2018 14:30:42

Newboy.........." I take it you learnt all you know from PS1 " imageimage