starlings and brown tits

I live in N Ireland on a farm and I have had starlings and brown tits for years roosting in my outbuildings,but this year they have all disappeared.  Just wondering has anyone got any explanation for this or has my dog barked too much?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,473

What is a Brown Tit, never heard of that?

My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I
    Got out of bed at all
    The morning rain clouds up my window
    And I can't see at all
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,212

I can vouch for the starlings, they're here in their thousands, clouds of them. 

Maybe a brown tit is a Sparrow.?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 731

We used to have dozens of starlings which we called the "speckled marauders" as they would come down to the allotment and empty all the bird feeders and frighten the small birds off. I have noticed that there hasn't been one near for quite some time and wondered where they had all gone to.

As for the Brown Tits I haven't heard of them either.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

"Brown tits" can sometimes be referred to incorrectly as Marsh Tits and Willow Tits, although in this case I do not think the OP means these species as neither inhabit outbuildings. Really don't know what  species he/she is referring to.  Brown birds that do inhabit outbuildings could be House Sparrows, which in some areas are in decline.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,573

some starling populations remain here in the UK throughout the winter.  Other populations migrate .

Must admit I too have never heard the term "brown tits" - both Marsh and Willow tits are reasonably easily identifiable.

• Cottage CompostCottage Compost Posts: 354

Just googled "Brown Tits"!!!!!!! Well image I didn't get the search results i expected!

Got to be Sparrows but seem to remember Treecreeper being refered to as a Tit somewhere.

But again can't be Treecreeper either, must be Sparrows.

Both Starling and Sparrows are declining fast in numbers and disapearing.