Tomatoes

Last summer my greenhouse grown tomatoes had a hard white core, any help to prevent this happening again would be appreciated.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,728

Maybe it was the variety.
    I grew Akron for the 1st time last year. Slightly larger than a Shirley, but all of them had a hard core. Grown alongside were Suncherry, Sungold, Shirley and Rosella - none of them had hard cores

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,270

I HAD THIS PROBLEM LAST YEAR. I ALWAYS GROW THE SAME VARIETIES THOUGH I BUY SEED FROM DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS. 

HERE IS ONE PERSON’S IDEAS ON THE MATTER.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/my-tomatoes-have-hard-whitish-core.html

THOUGH I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT HIGH TEMPERATURES WERE NEVER A PROBLEM. IT WAS THE DREARIEST CLOUDIEST AND WETTEST SUMMER FOR A LONG TIME. I DON’T RECALL OVER FEEDING THEM EITHER AND, AS I SAY, THE VARIETIES NEVER CHANGE FROM YEAR TO YEAR. SO I AM STUMPED.

I JUST PUT IT DOWN TO BAD LUCK.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

That's an interesting link, Pansy! What struck me was that it says "Newer hybrids that feature meatier centers are more resistant." I strongly dislike tomatoes with meatier centres, and I had no idea they were specifically bred to be that way. I mean, what's the point of a tomato if it's not as juicy as can be? image image