Forum home Plants

Lavender types pruning

Joy90Joy90 Posts: 35

i have two types of lavender augustifolas they are two summers old. Strangely the one called blue flames flowered in November for a second time after I’d Late summer pruned it. The dead flower heads are now on the plants when should I take them off? I had twolots of Flowers one in July and then again in earlyNovember !

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,631

I've cut mine down last year before winter and they have put on a bit of new growth already. But many don't until now to spring, so if it's not too wet and frosty, you can also cut them down.

Last edited: 20 January 2018 10:40:34

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857

I cut mine down in Spring. The goldfinches like the seeds in Winter.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,470

I do a harvest late Summer (love bunches of dried Lavender) but leave alone then and do a big prune in Spring. My two are old and a bit leggy but still earn their place in my garden. I prune quite hard, but only to new green growth as it won't grow back from the woody stems. I also have one French Lavender which always looks awful after flowering so receives a hair cut then, and it tends to re-flower later.  

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Joy90Joy90 Posts: 35

Thanks for your comments. I will wait till March and then cut them off if the dead flowers help wildlife!