Mushroom/Fungi Plugs or Dowels

Anyone any experience with these. A small part of our garden is wooded, about 20 very mature trees with quite some shade. We have several log piles scattered around and every year we have a good display of mushrooms and various fungi. Last year there was well over 100 Horse Mushrooms in a small patch - very impressive. I want to encourage mushrooms and or fungi into the log piles, in particular one which was a Birch tree and is now well a well rotted pile of logs around 2 feet in diameter. The more spectacular the growths the better. Does anyone have any recommendations and instructions? Thanks in advance.

Lots of luv Dave

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,475

Magic image

My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I
    Got out of bed at all
    The morning rain clouds up my window
    And I can't see at all
  • The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 399

The oyster dowels work well. They generally work best with hardwoods. Best thing is that it's a lot of fun and the yields can be fantastic. One of the logs I prepped 3 years ago is still active - I must have harvested kilos of oysters from it. It's paid for itself many times over.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,360

Most of the (edible fungi) dowels I've seen available require insertion into cut logs which were felled a year previously so I'm not sure if they'd 'take' if inserted into a pile of already well rotten logs.  Perhaps prep some logs as per the suppliers instructions and then mix those logs into your existing log piles?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.