Forum home Plants

should my Potato vine be losing leaves?

graigrai Posts: 78

I live in a block of flats and my balcony is overlooked so last Spring I planted a potato vine in a large pot to screen off one side and it did well through the summer, it even needed pruning which is exactly what I wanted

But since the winter arrived there is now not a leaf left on it but I understood it was evergreen (which was the whole point!)

Does anyone know if they shed each winter?

thanks xx

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

If you get quite cold winters, the leaves will shed. Exposed windy conditions can also cause them to shed too. As soon as temperatures warm up in March, they will return. It's not really evergreen, it's semi-evergreen. Unless you have extremely mild winter weather, they may hold their leaves, but the leaves are not long lasting and will shed sooner or later.

• graigrai Posts: 78

really annoying as I'm obliged to talk to my neighbours who are opposite on their balconies and too near to ignore but too far away to talk properly even if I wanted to which I don't

This was intended to screen me off and avoid prying eyes and meaningless small talk

if I sound like a miserable sod it's probably because I am

may didtch the potato vine and go with a Russian vine which I think is tough enough to stay evergreen and give me some *peace* !!

thanks for reply x

• I doubt a Russian vine will last more than a year in a pot unless it is very large (eg 50x50cm) in which case it might last 2-3 years before completely outgrowing it and dying.  Your requirements are a tough ask from any type of evergreen climber.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923

Russian Vine is not even slightly evergreen and wouldn't be at all suitable for your spot.  

I'd go for Persian Ivy https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/hedera-colchica-dentata-variegata/classid.1642/ 

- although it's usually grown on a solid surface as it's self clinging, I've seen it work well grown in a container and tied into a sturdy trellis.  You'll just have to keep on top of its wandering tendencies.  

Last edited: 18 January 2018 18:38:11

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146

grai

Applaud the 'attitude' ; made me smile ! (That's an achievement in itself) !image