A new hand tool

Hi there gardeners,

I am a 2nd year product design student.

We have been given a project, sponsored by Bosch, to create a new hand-held, cordless gardening tool. This product could be picked by Bosch and could possibly benefit your garden if I manage to find a gap in the market. The tool can be either battery operated or mechanically driven. The tool can be used for either outdoor or indoor gardening. I have visited a few garden centres to speak to individual gardeners about problems in which they face in the garden whether it be joint issues or simply flaws in the current tools they have. I have found some answers but no hard ground in which I could develop a product from. 

I was wondering whether you have faced any problems in the garden recently? Any issues with usability of tools or lack of tools on the market would help me out so much. 

Kind regards, 

Max.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,412

I'd like a pump that I can connect to the outlet of my rainbutt so I can use a hose.  I've tried both conventional and expanding hoses, and both kinds need mains pressure.  There is a pump on the market but it has to be immersed in the butt, and the lids of my butts are "child proof" and very difficult to prise off. My garden would get watered a lot more if I didn't have to fill and carry watering cans.

• Hi Max, I think you've discovered evolution!

• I want an actually portable version of those perennial weed killers machines that blast heat at them and make them die. Only ones I’ve seen look like they are from ghostbusters. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

A magic watering can that always stays full!

Or a hose reel that will automatically rewind itself. Preferably battery operated as I cannot face getting an electrician in to put a waterproof socket in outside. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • A usable turf cutter. Everything on the market is hard work to use!

• Pauline 7 says:

Another student wanting us to do their work for them. 

See original post

It's called research.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,621

Max, I think you are going to find that there are already tools which do the majority of the everyday jobs perfectly adequately and any tool to satisfy a niche requirement will have such a limited market as to be unviable.

The only area I can think of would be for battery powered tools to have the same power as petrol operated with battery life of 2 to 3 hours or more.  Most battery tools last little more than 30 or 40 minutes currently.  That would do away with the servicing requirement of petrol tools whilst retaining the versatility.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,695

My problem with battery operated tools is the bulk and the weight. 

The important developments in this field will be in the improvement in battery capabilities and reduction in their size. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Actually if you want a thing Bosch will be inclined to make. 

They do small hand held electronic tape measures and levels. Easy easy option would be the laser level with a stronger/different coloured light so that it will show up on grass and soil so we can get things like our seed and allotment rows straight without using string. 

Last edited: 16 January 2018 09:23:51