Ducks in my pond

Hi all, I have just moved to a house with a very large natural clay pond and some mallard ducks have taken up residence.  This is an annual event and the previous owners already put in a duck house in the pond for them, apparently we will get lots of ducklings in spring.  

My question is should I feed them at all?  I’m also wondering whether they will be a problem for amphibians?  I’d really love to see some frogs/tadpoles/newts but will the ducks just eat them all?  Or my plants?

Any advice much appreciated.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Don’t feed them. They are wild birds and a common species and are well able to find their own food. Mallards are primarily vegetarian but will probably eat some amphibian eggs but won’t get them all. The pleasure you get from watching the growing family will be worth it and you’ll hopefully get some amphibians too. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,379

With any luck the ducks will also eat some slugs too.  Definitely don't feed them ... you'll attract loads of other ducks ... bands of bachelor males who will make a mess and be a nuisance. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the advice!

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Mallards are very voracious - I've seen one eat an adult frog. They eat a lot of frogspawn and tadpoles as well. So I wouldn't do anything to encourage them - certainly don't feed them.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,698

Unless, of course, you fancy one for dinner!

• josusa47 says:

Unless, of course, you fancy one for dinner!

See original post

Ha! My husband is maybe regretting selling his air rifle ?