Forum home Plants

Acer prune

B3B3 Posts: 27,327

One stickyout branch  and a cosmetic trim of 2year twigs 

In Sarf Lunnon

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,304

Yes - January is the best month to prune acers when they're fast asleep as they bleed if pruned during the growing season

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,327

Thanks Pete. I meant to tag up the branches I wanted to trim but I didn't image  Will have to go with gut instinct.

:) we've all been there

Just stand back and have a look after each trim - and imagine it's the middle of summer (not easy this time of year)

Last edited: 14 January 2018 13:54:17

Billericay - Essex

I have an acer which was suffering in a pot so I stuck it in the ground, to live or die. It decided to live a full life. I was a bit horrified to see how big they can get. But with judicious pruning I'm hoping we can live harmoniously

Or, if you have the space, just let it do its own thing. I've never pruned mine except for over hanging growth onto the footpath behind

Billericay - Essex

Mine's at the end of the patio  and I can pretty much let it do it's own thing so there's a good b5ut of leeway but the final dimensions are scary.

If I'd realised, I might have planted it a few yards away.  In my ignorance, I thought  - in a pot - small not that it was small because it was in a pot !

• KiliKili Posts: 1,103

Hi Guys, interesting reading when to prune. I was lucky enough to receive an Acer Palmatum 'Crimson Queen' in a pot for my birthday and I went to prune a small twig growing out from very low down on the main stem which I've removed but reading the label that came with it states No pruning necessary. Do not prune in winter only when in leaf, if at all.

I assume this is correct for this named Acer given the label that came with it.

Anyone else have this type and is it normal not to prune in winter.

Regards

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

Sounds wrong to me but I'm not an expert

Billericay - Essex

• KiliKili Posts: 1,103

Thanks guys. The link to the RHS was helpful.. It states that Acer Palmatum 'Crimson Queen' is in pruning group one. Little to no pruning.

I'll let it do its thing but I want it to fan out like an umbrella so assume if I want to shape it I'll have to prune at some point.

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone.

B3 sorry for hijacking your thread.

Regards

Last edited: 14 January 2018 17:07:26

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'