Star of Bethlehem still flowering...

Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,831

Last summer I picked up a pot of Star of Bethlehem as it looked nice and was only £2.99. It was in flower then, and still is.
I understand it's not hardy, but mine has been in a sheltered corner in the garden since the autumn and here's a photo taken today

I'm mystified as to why it's still flowering and producing new stems at this time of year.

Should I cut it back or let it dry out?
Will it still perform later this year?

Any help much appreciated

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,423

Hi Pete

Just looked at your thread ; quite impressive looking bulb you've got there ! Quite hardy I believe as they're naturalised in some areas of the Northern US .

If mine I'd leave as it is without cutting it down . Forecast cold for next week , maybe stand under cover mainly to protect against excessive wet .

PS :- Is that a large Leucothoe behind it ? ; or am I mistaken .

• Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,831

Thanks Paul - I think there's about 5 or 6 bulbs in the pot.
    I'd never heard of them before but for £3 I thought I'd get them.
    It seems quite happy even at this time of year, so I'll leave it in its sheltered position close to the house and sheltered from rain. Which is actually just under the star jasmine.

The red-leaved climber behind it is a star jasmine. It usually gets a few red leaves in winter, but it's really going for it this year, maybe because I gave it a good mulch in the autumn.
    Here it is in its full glory snuggled up to Julia Correvon

Last edited: 13 January 2018 12:27:47

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,423

Very nice indeed and a credit to your obvious expertise !

Used to have Ornithogalums growing on an old rockery years ago ; unfotunately lost them all when re-structuring my garden .

Will source some more .

Cheers Paul - not sure about expertise, but 50ish years of experience has helped :)

All the best

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,143

While it's still flowering you should be watering it and maybe feeding it too then carry on feeding when it stops flowering so the foliage can build up the bulbs for the next show of flowers.  Maybe also consider potting them on when they stop flowering.  Beware of planting the bulbs out as they can become invasive.

The Vendée, France

Thanks for the tips Obelixx!