Forum home The potting shed

English language

• Ciao pbff

Molto Bene ?

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

Ciao Steve,

Grazie!

Ho trovato una similitudine di lumaca italiana! (I found an Italian snail simile!)

Lento come una lumaca (Slow as a snail).

(I hope I've said all that ok; my Italian isn't brilliant!)

Snail farming (heliculture) is very popular in Italy, apparently....

Last edited: 12 January 2018 15:36:18

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,979
    pbff says:

Snail farming (heliculture) is very popular in Italy, apparently....

See original post

Well, given that there is a small wild (feral?) population of edible snails still in Gloucestershire, generally believed to be leftover from the Roman Empire, it would be surprising if the Italians didn't have a residual snail habit image

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433

Yes, very true raisingirl.

Many of the Italian snails are not just farmed for eating however;  many are now farmed for their slime, for use in the cosmetics industry, it seems.

But that's a story for the Snail Lover's Society thread.... image

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • Hi pbff

My wife and I have enjoyed some great stays in Italy. Freindly and heartwarming people who make our stays there such wonderful experience. My italian is not too bad, ordering meals and drinks as well as being courteous. And, strangely, they do love their snails 

ciao 

Steve 

• KiliKili Posts: 439

As fit as a Butcher's dog!

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759

The only butcher I knew personally (customers in a pub where I used to barmaid occasionally) was exceedingly overweight, as was his wife.  Not fit at all.

Have we had sick as a parrot?

Back on dogs again - Let sleeping dogs lie, dog eat dog world, dog in a manger, dog and pony show, a barking dog never bites, dog-eared..........

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Iain - sawmill thing - Top Dog / Underdog is how i've always understood it.

pbff - the Italian phrases are certainly interesting - thanks for that.

Anyone know where " having a Whale of a time comes from " ?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759

It's American in origin - "The blue whale being the biggest creature on earth, a "whale of" anything is "a large amount of" it. As well as "whale of a time" people used to say "a whale of a lot" and "a whale of a job". It's US slang from around 1910."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Am I the only one who says " a goose walked over my grave" ?  My OH swears it is "someone  walked over my grave".

I rarely Google anything but I have on this occasion and find both are used.

Reading something the other night by an American author, I noticed the phrase " a rabbit ran over my grave" and also a Possum is used in the same context.

I'm beginning to wish I'd never started this threadimage