Overlooked Garden Ideas

Hi All

We have a small garden that we really enjoy but it’s a bit overlooked and the view over the top of the back fence is a bit ‘stark’

Any ideas to soften the impact and provide a bit more privacy gratefully received!

Not a great photo but I’m basically talking about the view of the back fence (where the purple clematis is) when viewed face on  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

The perfect place for a pergola with climbers to provide privacy when sitting out ... perhaps a 'trangular' one across the far corner of the decking? image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Posts: 75

Hmm it’s more for kind of a face on view as you look at it. (Ie more for the part of the fence that runs from the far corner to the edge of the deck) 

There’s actually a nice tree in neighbouring garden in that corner that provides nice shade and screening. 

Will take a better photo on the weekend from front on :) 

• Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,917

If not a pergola, then maybe an arbour-

Some tall grasses planted either side - Stipa gigantea or the more architectural Calamagrostis × acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' would grow above fence height

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Posts: 75

Managed to get home in daylight. Here’s a better photo of the view from the back door which shows what I mean

• Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,917

Hmm - maybe fast growing shrubs like

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/philadelphus-virginal/classid.4192/

or, slower growing but evergreen-
    https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/osmanthus--burkwoodii/classid.4171/

Camellia's are evergreen and also get big, if your soil is suitable

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,475

What is the orientation on that border? I think you need to be more generous on that border and dig into your lawn by another 2 feet. This allows you more space to grow some shrubs but also, increase the height on your side of the fence with some kind of lattice that allows you to grow climbers upwards. If you have a west facing or south facing wall there, try Solanum Crispum Glasnevin. Fairly fast growing and arching/lax habit that is semi evergreen in protected sites and plenty of colour in the summer months. Can be wall trained to cover vast areas. If you have a north or east wall, I recommend Pileostegia Viburnoides. Very easy to control and is self clinging. 

Last edited: 11 January 2018 18:19:07

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,706

That fence already looks to be about 6 foot so trellis on top is a no go. A pergola over the seating area is about the only quick solution to cut the view from the neighbouring upstairs windows (but it will also cut out the sun on the chairs).

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 736

I think we sometimes worry too much about being 'overlooked'.I live on a modern estate with houses all round but I can't really see anyone in their gardens even from the upstairs windows.I have 6ft fences all round and have grown shrubs in front and have climbers etc.It's taken 16 years!

When I am in the garden I could be the only person around!

1. 2002 with just 6ft fence:-

2. 2017 View from just standing in the garden,seems quite secluded:-

3.2017 View from upstairs window shows you cannot see much of surrounding gardens so assume they can't see much of me!!

Last edited: 11 January 2018 23:27:17

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • pbffpbff Posts: 382

What a transformation Madpenguin!

Your garden looks amazing.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

Absolutely lovely Madpenguin image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !