Cikito Tomatoes

I've just finished sowing some Moneymaker..San Marzano and Gardeners Delight for an early start...have been given some Cikito tomato seeds but not sure when to sow them...can I start them now or later in Spring.

Thank you

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,573

Don't know the variety Cikito but if you are able to start off the other toms at this time of year without the usual problems associated with early sowing, why not give them a go ? 

If there is nothing specific in the Citiko's info. which suggests a later sowing , maybe do some now and some later ( say March ? ).

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,256

I tried an early start with my toms years ago. They were long and leggy and needed staking from about 6". The main stems were thin and weak by the summer and the first trusses formed about 4ft up the plant.
    Other seed I sowed 2nd week in march produced excellent plants that fruited at the same time.

If you're able to supply good artificial light, then you should be ok, otherwise I'd recommend waiting.

I think Philippa's comment sums it up-

"if you are able to start off the other toms at this time of year without the usual problems associated with early sowing"

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pompeyboypompeyboy Posts: 98

Thank you Phillipa and Pete will try an early and later sowing and see