Forum home The potting shed

Real Live Surgery on TV

Sorry you can keep your live operations, I for one won't be turning on.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,484

If you're referring to a programme called 'Surgeons at the edge of life' or something similar, the surgery isn't shown live.  It would make for a pretty boring programme for most people as the main operation being filmed took 11 hours.  The images are pretty graphic and don't make for easy viewing.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,554

Seen enough of real life ones to last a lifetime, I shalt be watching either. I don’t call that TV entertainment. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,530

As I used to say to our cardiac surgeons, " it's only plumbing, what's the fuss."?

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

No thanks, seen one operation, my own, many years ago now. Rushed into BMH Fayid and waking to a bearded man leaning over me nipping my nose with a huge needle in his hand. He was saying we cannot give you Anaesthetic  I have to put this needle in your spine, if you move you could be crippled for life or die. I would call that a rude awakening, they put a small screen on my chest but forgot about the big mirror lamp above me, the thing being I could not connect what I was watching with me. nine  weeks later I was back on duty, no home sick leave in those days. 

Why people would want to watch such things including the horror video's from the middle east which apparently get millions of views round the world I cannot understand and never will.

Frank.

Last edited: 09 January 2018 09:20:03

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,841

I don't think it's intended as entertainment, Lyn. It's a documentary, intended to inform and enlighten. I didn't see it and it doesn't particularly appeal, but several friends have been enthusing about it from a scientific point of view. I imagine it's more interesting to see it with emotional distance - not really the same thing as watching your own surgery, Frank. I have to look away when I give blood (I'm not generaly squeamish) so the thought of seeing my own flesh or that of my loved ones cut is unimaginable!

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

I am old enough to remember the Your Life in their Hands series from many years back. That was in black and white. Interesting  to listen to the surgeons saying what they hoped to achieve.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,484

I used to find programmes about medical procedures fascinating and informative, I certainly never considered them to be entertainment, and I don't think this programme intends to be 'entertaining' either.

I haven't been able to watch any programme of a similar nature since I saw one which was showing in grahic detail an operation I had had a little time earlier.  It was all too easy to identify with what was being shown, it wasn't an abstract process any more!

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,434

I watched the first one last night and found it engrossing.  I worked in a maternity unit and saw hundreds of caesareans.  The first time, I didn't know whether to vomit or faint, and had to walk out, but it's amazing how quickly one gets over the yuck factor.  I generally find it fascinating to watch a skilled craftsman or woman at work and the skill of those surgeons is awesome.  Each to their own - I can't understand why anyone would want to watch the Jeremy Kyle show or Big Brother.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,049

Pauline, it was on BBC2 and is available on iPlayer.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Entertainment is The Two Ronnies or Dancing on Ice not being shown the innards of people. Coming from a time we killed and butchered our own animals eating almost everything that came out of them we from an early age knew what it was like, it was not entertainment but a necessity, no farmer ever did it for fun Dad shed tears. What does make me laugh are TV Chef's now pushing Offal as a new experience dressing it up as high end eating and charging the earth, some of us already knew how good it tasted.

TV directors are watching world trends and what some U-Tube people watch so push the boundaries that is pandering to the worst tastes and not entertainment. The world today are seeing what we saw for real all those years ago in that war zones bring horror and misery they are not for TV entertainment, you do not get the smells or see the time these things take, my last operation four years ago took six hours, no the TV audience would get bored just show the bits that make couch potato's squirm. I think it beyond the pale.

Frank.