Forum home Plants

Splitting bamboo

WaysideWayside Posts: 845

I have some bamboo in pots, growing slowly but surely, when is a good time to split?

Should I fortify the soil?  I mixed compost with horse manure last year.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,922

A bamboo in a container needs splitting or dividing when it's filling ts pot and you don't want to put it in a larger container.

I think the best time to do this is in the spring just as growth starts ... a rich compost with lots of organic material is good so I would use John Innes loam based No 3 with the addition of some well-rotted manure.

It may be necessary to use a saw to cut through the rootball! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I can usually find something out of the kitchen drawer, a bread knife is quite good, or use anything that’s strong, give it a whack with an axe if you have one,   of course they need splitting when pot grown.! 

As Dove says, best done in Spring or Autumn. 

My OH always says.... the wrong information is worse than no information at all. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WaysideWayside Posts: 845

A neighbour offered me some bamboo from a hedge that had got carried away.  Cutting it out was really hard work!  Then I placed in a shaded courtyard where it never got going.  Then in a large plastic pot, in full sun - until it filled the pot.  A gardener friend said bamboo is well suited to large plastic pots.

When the pot was getting filled out, I pulled it out and used a spade to divide into two.  I'm hoping to split for propagation purposes really.  The pots currently are not full yet or crowded.

I figured dividing and refreshing compost was probably good for both me and the bamboo.

Sorry I can't be more specific in terms of variety - I have no idea what it is.

I'd read that frost can get to the roots in pots, probably not an issue here in Sussex.  Will hold out for spring.

Thanks!

Last edited: 08 January 2018 11:27:13