Forum home Plants

Shrub or hedge leaf ID

Can anyone identify this - it was twilight when I picked this off a shrub/tree as I was out walking, however the plant appeared to be straggly and I couldn't decide if it was a tree or shrub.  The catkins (if that is what they are) looked lovely against the dark colour of the leaves.imageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,423

Garrya ellipticaimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,749

It looks a lot like Garrya elliptica GD.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Snap Nutcutlet.

image Hello Ladybird

and Hello GD image

A bit late but Happy New Year to you both image

imageand to you

• I had one for many years but ultimately found it boring - the birds didn't like it and it just took up a lot of space with it's dull green leaves.  I think if you get the one with extra long catkins in the right place it's stunning, but mine finished ujp in the wood-burner!

Happy New Year to you all too.

Mine looks very dull as is making no effort to flower this year. I think it's the end

• Happy New Year to you all too, and thank you for your identification. 

I have never heard of a Garrya Elliptica before, and I must say even in the twilight the shrub looked unruly and I would have walked past except that the catkins were so long and turned the shrub into something a little different.  How long do the catkins last?  If most of the year then it would be worthwhile growing, although having said that if the birds are not interested then perhaps it would be a waste of space that could accommodate something more worthwhile.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,213

I've had one for a couple of years. It has grown to 2 metres high but no catkins yet. I'll give it one more year and then remove it if still failing to flower.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).