Aerogarden kit

Does anyone have any experience of the kits & tips on their use. Spares & accessories seem expensive are there any alternatives you can buy to use with the kit.

Got given one for Xmas & not sure of its usefulness to the average home veg gardener,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,458

I'm not familiar with these ... Perhaps they can be used as a propagator? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604

As far as I know, these kits provide 'summer-like' light conditions throughout they year, so allowing you to grow things like herbs, salad leaves and probably chili in mid-winter.
    They're no use for anything substantial, so you're not going to be picking sprouts, carrots or cabbages.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I wanted one as I live in Scotland and sometimes - plus, it's quite nice to grow salad, tomatoes and chilies in the winter months which is what this kit would allow you to achieve. But I agree with Pete8, you can't really grow anything like a root vegetable or similar. 

I actually got one of these for Christmas too, but, I politely asked my fiancé if I could return it and buy IKEA's Vaxar kit instead (basically their own hydroponics kit). 

I swapped my Aerogarden for the IKEA kit because: 

1. The accessories for the IKEA kit are cheaper and offer more flexibility into what can be planted. (the pumice stones, rock wool, fertiliser etc.)

2. The seed pod things for the Aerogarden seemed over priced for what they were, and there wasn't that great a range, plus I didn't know of anywhere to buy the pods in a shop. 

3. From an aesthetic point, I liked the design of IKEA's hydroponic kits more. 

4. Overall the starter kit with IKEA was cheaper, so I saved my fiancé a couple of bob too! 

As far as I'm aware the only difference between the two was that the aero garden circulated the water and had an inbuilt light timer. I'm new to hydroponics so wasn't too fussed about the water pump and a timer can be bought for about £5. 

And after germinating the first few seeds in IKEA's kit it seems like the Aerogarden is an all-in-one affair, whereas the IKEA kit requires a separate propagator, which is very easy to use. 

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/indoor-gardening/ 

All the best :)