Hog house

does anyone know if hedgehogs usually poo in their bedding. We have a hog house in our garden, we used straw to line it and put a dish of hedgehog pellets in to feed it, the food goes and after all the rain we decided to change the straw as it looked damp and found several poo piles amongst the old straw....usually animals don’t soil their own bedding so we were wondering if he was using the house just to eat and poo?

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,438

Yes they do seem to poo in their bedding.

As the straw is damp and something is eating the food maybe rats have been around?

I thought my hogs were still out and about as food was being eaten but when I checked my trail cam that was when I discovered the rats (or a rat to be precise!) image

The hedgehogs are probably hibernating somewhere else right now.

I would not put food in the hog house if that is where they will be sleeping.Food should be put elsewhere.

Have you actually seen hedgehogs around ?

Last edited: 05 January 2018 23:58:29

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

They do indeed poop literally everywhere, so it's a possibility. Do you have a hedgehog feeding station? They are easy to set up, just youtube them for a tutorial out of storage boxes placed against a fence or shed with a small gap in between. It's possible to still see youngsters around who are too young to hibernate and need all the food they can get their hands on, plus hibernation is not a constant - mild periods will cause hogs to wake and feed. A much more common occurrence with our bizarre winter weather patterns. The best bet is a trail cam like Penguin says, but it depends how much interest you have in wildlife image

Last edited: 06 January 2018 13:27:36

• Thank you for your replies. I will take onboard your infornation. Make a feeding station and try and get a trail cam.image

• poopoo Posts: 6

we have put hog house in the corner of our garden, because l got suspicious just had a quick look

two hogs in house, then saw mom and baby outside in daylight, then a smaller hog on its' again in daylight.   we both keep eye out now.

so we change hay every time we check but quite a laps before doing it.

happy hogs for 2018.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Pop if you see the babies again weigh them and anything under 600g needs overwintering or taking to a rescue, they are unlikely to be able to hibernate and make it through winter otherwise. I would do the same and check Mum too image Put out some cat biscuits to entice them in the evening 

Last edited: 15 January 2018 09:22:22

• poopoo Posts: 6

thanks mark 56.

we are going to check soon to see how they are.  those prickles really hurt. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,438

You need a pair of stout gloves!!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings