Valuable opinions requested

Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,808

Can any other forum members give their opinions on cutting back Penstemons please ?

Have spent all morning in my garden today (don't need anything in the 'sales')image Makes a refreshing change from other peoples gardens.

Interestingly enough , my Penstemons are growing already , along with numerous other plants . Normally I would wait until Spring before tidying these up .

We havn't had a winter yet around here (E.Lincs.) ; three minor frosts and no snow whatsoever . Looking at the weather around the country recently it's hard to believe ! Full sunshine Xmas day and Boxing day . Mild and sunny today also .

Your valued advice would be most welcome and look forward to any replies , thanks image

PaulB3

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690

Mine haven't really stopped growing in Devon. I'm leaving mine as the top growth forms a protective cover over the crown so giving it protection if we get a hard frost. 

I cut them back when the danger of the really hard frosts has passed ( late March ish )  and use what I've cut back as cutting material.

If they're very top heavy, you might want to cut them back to prevent wind rock damage.

Last edited: 30 December 2017 14:01:04

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

Oooh!  I wouldn't cut them back yet ........ there's plenty of time for winter to arrive in your area and nip back any fresh young growth which has been stimulated by cutting back ... also leaving the top growth will do a little bit to protect the crown from frost ... in my experience penstemons can be a bit moody ... don't give them an excuse to throw a strop and sulk image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,808

Thanks Hosta , will heed your advice image

snap.image

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

Snap Hosta image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,916

I leave my tops on until May. We get frosts until the end of May. I take cuttings if I remember in late summer.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Dove

As with Hosta , thankyou for your advice !

Hope winter doesn't arrive here image

fidget, I know all the " experts" say take cuttings in July / August, but I've found almost 100% success with the stuff I remove in Spring and often they'll get to , admittedly  a smallish , flowering size in one season.

Worth a try if it's only going into the compost bin otherwise.

Devon.

Thankyou all for your prompt and very knowledgeable advice ; others opinions are highly valued by myself ; (and I'm not too proud to admit it)!!!image