Forum home Problem solving

Mysterious tunnel and wood chip pile

Hi, I wonder if you can help solve a mystery.  I discovered my wood chip had been piled up into a mound and thought it maybe a hibernating hedgehog.  

On further investigation there is actually a tunnel that runs under my bunker.  I am hoping it is not rats but am confused as I would have thought rats would ran behind the bunker as its not a burrow. I would also imagine that rats would not  have caused a mound.  

Our back garden is paved with a  wood chip area where the bunker and shed is. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  imageimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

How big is the hole?  Can we have something to indicate size please. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,500

You could try gently pulling the pile apart to see if there is anything beneath it.  Wear strong gloves in case there is an occupant who takes exception to the disturbance.

Is there any evidence of mouse or rat droppings?

• Hi all, thank you for the comments.  The tunnel is about 3 1/2 inches.  

I have since emptied the bunker the corner has been chewed.  No evidence of droppings.  

I've moved the bunker to the slabbed part of the garden and have broken up the wood chip pile, no evidence of occupancy.  

Based on the chewing of the bunker it looks like rats.  Next door has decking so may have came from there, I will give the council a call on Tuesday.