Why do my foxgloves do this every year??

CraighBCraighB Posts: 372

Hi guys,

Every year the foxgloves in my garden look terrible!! Their leaves start off with little brown/black tiny spots and then the leaves start to turn red/brown and then black. In fact it looks similar to rose black spot.

This seems to happen every year! I bought a few foxgloves from a garden centre a while back and they looked so healthy! As soon as they entered my garden they started looking awful image

Could anyone tell me what is happening to them?

Thank you.

Last edited: 30 December 2017 10:03:41

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,050

Cut those older leaves off if you don't llike the look of them, they're fine, it's winter

It's the middle with the new younger leaves that's important.

• CraighBCraighB Posts: 372

Thanks for the advice nutcutlet however they still look the same in the summer which is what concerned me. They had dark spots all over the leaves and those particular leaves started to turn like the ones in the photo even during the summer when they were growing in pots?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,169

Sounds like a fungal disease to me so you either give up growing foxgloves or treat the problem by boosting soil fertility to make your plants stronger and applying a fungicide regularly till the problem clears.  You could also try growing any new plants on in pots of good quality compost until they are large enough to cope in the borders.

I found this online which may help - 

Anthracnose is a fungal disease that affects foxglove plants. One symptom of anthracnose is the appearance of 1/8-inch brown spots with purple edges on the leaves. Anthracnose spots eventually turn black in the center. Plant leaves become yellow, dry and fall off. Anthracnose spores spread through water or insects and attack weak plants. Follow a fertilization regimen to keep plants healthy and strong. Water foxgloves slowly at their bases to keep water off the leaves. Treat infected leaves with a fungicide every one to two weeks until improvement is seen.

The Vendée, France
  • Could it be that your soil is too wet over winter?

• CraighBCraighB Posts: 372

Thanks for the info Obelix. I think I'm going to try and take out all.of the foxgloves that are in the ground now and start a fresh next year to try and eradicate any spread of any fungus.

I don't think it's a case of the soil being too wet because it was the ones that I started in pots that got the spots at first. I was then given some more from a friend and they looked very healthy until they reached my garden! They then started to look sickly after a while even though they were still in pots.