Too early for spreading top soil on lawn?

Hi everyone,

I've got a chance to get a load of top soil for free. A project for the Spring/drier weather was to level our lawn as there are bumps around it, so free top soil would be a huge help. However it is extremely wet out there for now and I don't know if receiving and then attempting to spread the soil at this stage would do more harm than good? I have an area at the back of the garden where the soil could be dumped out to store in a pile, but am guessing this would inherit weeds before Spring arrives. So is it best to avoid the offer, or get it and attempt to spread at this stage, or store in a pile?

Thanks for any help,

Lucid image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,305

I don't think it's a good time to do any top-dressing of your lawn. The lawn will be wet most days, even when it's dry, the cold will keep the areas too damp to work on. Best to wait till temperatures rise and then try in late spring. By all means, keep it in a pile where you have the space. If you can, maybe get hold of tarpaulin to cover it up. Hold it down with some bricks of something heavy.

• PosyPosy Posts: 981

All soil will have weed seeds but a cover such as Borderline suggests will control them. Top soil can be very costly - I'd grab it before someone else does!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 3,499

I agree.  Free topsoil...grab it, tarp it, and store it.

Lucky you image.

• LucidLucid Posts: 267

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I'll get hold of some tarps and go for it!

Lucid image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,140

October is the time for spreading topsoil on lawns and levelling, the topsoil needs to be free of weed almost a dry compost, some top soils will not work, heavy topsoil would definitely damage the lawn.

Bumps and dips in a lawn need to be levelled slowly and will need different methods depending on how high or low they are. We levelled our Bowling green in Spring of course a normal lawn would not be as fussy but a long plank on edge slowly swung round from a fixed point will tell you what is needed often not as much work as you think. Dips a mix of compost sand and seed spread in the hollow may take a couple of tries and bumps carefully cut along three sides of the turf, get the spade flat under the turf and roll back then remove some of the under soil. Lay the turf back and dress some sand and compost mix in the cuts you made with the spade. 

Lawns work slowly and carefully top dressing should be a thin layer and not just piled on hoping for the best.

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 163

Agree, not now. The grass won't incorporate the new soil into the turf zone quickly enough and may leave it sat in muddy puddles smothering the grass below.