Forum home Problem solving

Too much nitrogen in a flowerpot

Hi.. I over fertilized my flowerpot and my flower is weak and yellow now. Too much nitrogen. How can I reduce the concentration? 

• B3B3 Posts: 15,020

Can you repot it in some fresh soil ? Keep the over fertilized stuff to top dress or mix with compost.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

can I ask what sort of "flower" it is?

How do you know you over fertlised it and by how much?

Devon.
  • Flower - lot. Spathiphyllum or just Spath.

I don't want to repot.. I hope there is othet way how to neutralise the effect.

The leaves became weak and yellow.. I was very happy that it started to bloom and put fertilize few times.. :/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,590

I'm afraid re-potting is the only answer if you have added too much nitrogen ... whether you want to or not image

Over-watering can also cause yellowing of the leaves.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Repot it.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,108

If you've used a liquid feed when you overfed then you can flush the compost.
    Use rainwater if possible at the same temperature as the plant - so leave it to warm up somewhere, then flush the pot with 10 times the amount of compost.
    So if you have it in a 1 litre pot, then flush with 10 litres of water.

If you have to use tap water, then let it stand at room temperature for at least 12 hours so that any dissolved chlorine escapes.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,590

But Pete ... won't that then lead to overwatering problems? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,108

It's just a one-off if the compost has been over fertilized with a liquid feed. I've had cause to do it on occasion. If the compost is free draining then it should only take a few minutes. Something like JI takes a lot longer.
    Then don't water again until it's needed, remembering that the compost will be pretty much devoid of nutrients

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,497
    Dovefromabove says:

But Pete ... won't that then lead to overwatering problems? 

See original post

It shouldn't as long as the plant is left standing in water after doing what Pete said.  Let it drain and the effect should be to leach the excess fertilizer out of the soil.  As Pete also said, doing this will also leach the good nutrients from the soil too.

• I don't want to repot.. So I will try to rewash.. 

Just I read that nitrogen doesn't melt in water..