Forum home Problem solving

Demolishing a Garden

Hello Everyone :),

My name is Brock and I've decided to tackle a very big project. I live in this very tiny apartment complex which has 2 gardens out front on either side of the doors. 

These gardens are... atrocious. It's overgrown with all kinds of weeds, shrubs and everything is quite out of hand. So to spiffy up my home not for just myself but for everyone else, I want to remove this garden and create a new one! (Which is a bit too ambitious for a teen ;D)

One problem though is I don't know where to start or if there is any advice I should take in order to properly remove this overgrown forest. Should I use any specific products? Or could I just rip everything up?

Some help would be much appreciated!

Sincerely, Brock.

P.S (I'm willing to send photos of the garden if it helps on what I should do and how I should tackle this garden.)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Photos and some idea of your location. 

Most , but not all of us , are UK based so  "overgrown aloe vera plants" are rarely encountered but we love a " before and after" project. 

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,195

Pictures - yes please.

Chemicals and products?  Please not - seriously bad for the garden's ecology so avoid if possible.

Rip it all out?  No, there are probably some treasures you can prune or tidy up or train that will give structure to new planting.

Think about whether you want seasonal colour or year round form from greenery and also how much time you will have to a) achieve your aims and b) maintain them and also how you will source new plants - beg, sow, buy?

Give us some info about where you are and which way the gardens face as climate and aspect affect what will grow happily, what will struggle and what will go mad and needs restraining.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw