Carol singers

Sorry, this has nothing to do with gardens, but out of curiosity has anyone had carol singers at their door this year?  Is this a dying or dead tradition?

I distantly remember there used to be a few groups that came around our area when I was a child, but in the past 10 years I think we have only had one female group of about 6 singers.

Has anyone been out carol singing?  I did it once with a Youth group that I belonged to when a teenager, but I think it was more laughing and mucking about than actual singing.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, AND HERE'S TO LOTS OF GARDENING IN 2018.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,962

I get carol singers tomorrow night (Christmas eve) when Santa also comes down our street in his sleigh!! He goes round all the village collecting money for charity (and a few drams!!) and I think the kids get a sweetie as well.

Last edited: 23 December 2017 23:05:49

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • That sounds like a really festive atmosphere in your village hogweed, one that used to happen here, I think it was either the Round Table or Rotary club that ran it - about 25 - 30 years ago, but it fizzled out after 3 or 4 years. A great pity as the children were quite in awe of the spectacle. 

There are carol singers, bands and entertainers in the town on the late night openings (4 in December), just not door to door any more.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

We used to have Santa and Carol singers come round when we lived it Kent, put on by the Tenterden Lions, I used to put the kids to bed and then wake them up as I heard the sleigh bells, then put their dressing gowns and slippers on and take them out, they all got a little present, it was so real you could almost believe it yourself?

where we live now is a long way from civilisation, so wouldn’t see anything like that, they do a Victorian market in the nearest town but we don’t go. 

I think the problem now is that no one wants to do charity work thats why it fizzles out.  Or maybe that’s just country areas, I have no idea what goes on in towns, haven’t been to one for many years. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529

The local Rotary Club (I think I've got that right) do the same - go round the local streets with a 'sleigh' and singers, collecting for charity. It's magical, if you catch them - they only do it on one night so if you're busy or out at the time, you miss it. I've missed them the past couple of years image, which is sad - it's so lovely to hear the sleigh bells approaching and then the singing start.

My kids are in a choir that sings outside the supermarket each December, again raising money for charity (not sure if you'll be able to see the link): https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1961139934147237&id=1700338420227391 Does that count?

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

That perfect LG, I don’t belong to face book but it’s open.

those children are adorable aren’t they, so nice to see them doing something like that, well done to them all. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,736

When I was a child in Liverpool, groups of enterprising youngsters would go carol singing - charity beginning at home. The singing wasn't great and tended to be brief: Hark the herald..BANG BANG BANG angels BANG BANG BANG. if you didn't open the door by King they cleared off to the next house. We live at the end of a short, but dark, unmade lane now so we don't get any singers of any sort. I miss it.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

I AM ONE OF THE OFFENDERS.

HERE IN DERBYSHIRE AND SOUTH YORKSHIRE, THE OLD CAROLS WHICH WERE THROWN OUT OF THE CHURCH REPERTOIRE WHEN THE BOOK “HYMNS ANCIENT AND MODERN” WAS INTROUCED, WERE KEPT ALIVE IN SOME VILLAGES BY BEING SUNG OUTSIDE THE CHURCHES, OFTEN IN PUBS.

EYAM, THE FAMOUS PLAGUE VILLAGE, WAS LUCKY TO HAVE ITS VERY OWN WRITER OF CAROLS, RICHARD FURNESS, AND HIS CAROLS ARE STILL SUNG IN THE VILLAGE TO THIS DAY, BY GOING HOUSE TO HOUSE. ON DECEMBER 21ST THIS YEAR WE COLLECTED £143 FOR A SHEFFIELD CHILDREN’S CANCER CHARITY.

THE VILLAGE OF FOOLOW HAS A CHRISTMAS VILLAGE CAROL SING, AGAIN GOING HOUSE TO HOUSE, EVERY CHRISTMAS NIGHT. AND AGAIN, THE CAROLS ARE SPECIFIC TO FOOLOW.

HERE IS A VIDEO OF THE EYAM CAROLLERS SINGING AN EYAM CAROL. AS YOU CAN SEE, THE WEATHER IS NO OBSTACLE. FORTUNATELY, THIS YEAR IT WAS MILD AND CALM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-B_uJ8XPsQ

I HOPE TO BE ABLE TO DO THE FOOLOW TRAIPSE THIS CHRISTMAS NIGHT. HOPING FOR DRY WEATHER.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • What a dedicated band of carol singers in Eyam Pansyface - giving cheer to the villagers on such a damp night. Yes I hope you will have a drier night this Christmas eve.

Thank you all for sharing your memories of Christmas's past - perhaps we can encourage or take part in this tradition next year?

My OH belongs to a choir that sang in a few of the old people's homes this Christmas, and also in the town on a late night shopping evening - all in aid of raising money for charities and spreading a bit of Christmas cheer.

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529

Hadn't seen your post when I posted mine, Lyn. What you had in Tenterden sounds like a similar arrangement to here. I must make more of an effort to find out the date they're coming round in advance.

I thought of you and your local caroling tradition when I saw this thread, pansyface. I sent the links you'd given about it to the choirmaster in the above video and he was really interested.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,962

Before our midnight service tonight there are carols in the church for the half hour before and tea and mince pies!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller