Free coffee and Mince Pies

Just nipped to my local organic veg farm shop this morning to get some apples. I'd already done my main veg shop there a day or two ago.

I walked into the shed only to be met with the radio playing ( to keep all their wonderful veg happy I assume ) and a basket of beautiful little home made mince pies and a thermos full of good coffee and china cups. The little sign said " Help yourself".

As this shop works solely on an Honesty Box basis, it was such a nice thought when most shops are just anxious to take your dosh .

Well done Plowrights Organicsimageimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,188

If you have a My Waitrose card ( free ) you can have a free coffee / tea with any purchase , no matter how small , every day .

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,429

In some areas they'd just steal the 'Honesty-Box' !image

• Wheelcraft bike shop at the edge of the campsie hills in dunbartonshire has a coffee on the go at all times. The shop is an absolute gem, you'll be standing amidst a sea of hubs and spokes listening to big Al crack joke after joke. The coffee is nice proper bean stuff too.  

• No Waitrose or Golf Club around here.

I was really just commenting on the pleasant surprise at the farm shop the other day - a nice touch I thought  - particularly from a working farm with plenty to do.

Paul B3 - you're right - luckily the track to the farm shop is long, muddy and pot holed so maybe that puts the villains offimage

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,087

It's a really nice thing to do, but if news like that got out around here they'd have hundreds of people who had never been there before, circling the place for the freebies.

Your 'long muddy track full of pot-holes' sounds like some of our rapidly deteriorating back-lanes around here !image ;  a customer of ours with a large black Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 literally broke his rear axle two weeks ago on a particularly nasty pot-hole .

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 1,710
    Paul B3 says:

a customer of ours with a large black Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 literally broke his rear axle two weeks ago on a particularly nasty pot-hole .

See original post

Possibly travelling a tad expeditiously at the time........

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett

10 out of 10 for the use of the word " expeditiously".

"long muddy tracks full of pot holes" perfectly describes some the entrances to our customers' farms.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,168

I dunno - with speed certainly but not with efficiency if he ends up with a broken axel.   The local council here has a special truck that goes round the smaller roads after winter filling in any cracks and potholes before they get serious in the summer heat.  Leaves the road surface with patchwork rectangles but does the job.

The Vendée, France
  • Our first house in France was situated in the middle of a large Oak forest. Once off the village road, the roads to the various farms, etc. were just narrow tracks.

At various points, heaps of gravel/ballast WHY were dumped for the residents to repair the tracks as and when needed.

Worked extremely well but that was back in the late 80's so perhaps even that has changed by now.

The farm I mentioned at the beginning of this thread does try to fill in the potholes but the necessary use of farm machinery up and down means any temporary repairs don't last too long.  It is a private road so no one can really complain - we all just drive slowly and carefullyimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,911

I live down a forest track in France. They used to leave us stuff to repair it but our lovely Maire got cancer and died and the track is neglected now. It's a public right of way, doesn't belong to me.

Time to get to know the new mayor Busy.  Invite him for tea and scones so he can experience the road for himself?

The Vendée, France
  • That's sad about your Maire BL - does his replacement not bother or is it, as normal these days, simply down to money or the lack of it ?

Most of our forest tracks were public rights of way - dog walkers, hikers, horse or bike riders, truffle hunters, boar hunters and the like.  We managed between us to keep them in reasonable condition - didn't mind doing it either as it was a pleasure to live in such an out of the way place. We were the only English people - the rest were French - mostly farmers who had lived there for donkeys years.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,911

I called by the Mairie a couple of weeks ago. She's a Mairesse, said she was aware of the drive, but I think it's a matter of money. They'd been saving for a bit to resurface a minor road which is used quite a lot and had got into a dreadful state, just been done.

Fingers crossed you're next then Busy.    I need to work out what our mayor is following the recent amalgamations - does he stay mayor of our village or get a new title and function?

The Vendée, France
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,085

I see you’re on to road repairs on lanes now? the council came round and resurfaced our road, there’s only two house in the mile and and half stretch, and it wasn’t at all bad. Complete waste of money as there’s pot holes in the main roads here as well. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Our neighbour ( at the farm at the bottom of the lane) asked us if we'd chip in to tarmac the lane. 

The bit outside our house, ie the bit we drive on belongs to the folk who sold us this house and they won't allow anything done to "their" bit. 

The reason the lane is knackered is down to endless tractor traffic, and the milk collection lorries twice daily visits. 

No idea why they think we'd want to pay to tarmac a stretch we've neither damaged, nor drive on.

Farmers like tarmac Hosta.  They think it's clean and easy.

The people who owned our Belgian home were farmers and when the road outside was diverted over a new bridge, thus bending the road a bit, they asked for their new front yard to be tarmacced at the same time.  Years later, when we arrived, I could see they'd buried a 1900s hand laid paved road done in those small 3 to 4 inch granite pavers laid in shell patterns.  We had the tarmac lifted and made raised beds either side of those cobbles in which you can see the grooves left by allied tanks as they chased the Germans west in 1944. 

The rest of that road to the village is now classified and will never be tarmacced.   When the relatives of the old owners heard we'd had the tarmac scraped they declared us to be mad.  Yes, weeds grew in the gaps but easily sorted with a Karcher.

The Vendée, France

The image in my mind of the 1900s paved road with tank-markings is fascinating ; I seriously envy you that near your property image

Years ago near Nottingham Lace Market the council replaced broken tarmac roads , thus exposing  albeit temporarily , old Victorian cobbles lying beneath . Sure enough , in a few days they were buried again .

Traffic as usual took priority .

I remember visiting Edinburgh during The Festival one year and got chatting to a guy lifting beautiful stone ( not concrete )paving slabs from The Royal Mile to be replaced with tarmac later. 

I asked how much they were selling the slabs for:

" You see that lorry? it's taking them all to the dump"