Free coffee and Mince Pies

Just nipped to my local organic veg farm shop this morning to get some apples. I'd already done my main veg shop there a day or two ago.

I walked into the shed only to be met with the radio playing ( to keep all their wonderful veg happy I assume ) and a basket of beautiful little home made mince pies and a thermos full of good coffee and china cups. The little sign said " Help yourself".

As this shop works solely on an Honesty Box basis, it was such a nice thought when most shops are just anxious to take your dosh .

Well done Plowrights Organicsimageimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,880

If you have a My Waitrose card ( free ) you can have a free coffee / tea with any purchase , no matter how small , every day .

Devon.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,877

In some areas they'd just steal the 'Honesty-Box' !image

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 291

Wheelcraft bike shop at the edge of the campsie hills in dunbartonshire has a coffee on the go at all times. The shop is an absolute gem, you'll be standing amidst a sea of hubs and spokes listening to big Al crack joke after joke. The coffee is nice proper bean stuff too.  

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,302

No Waitrose or Golf Club around here.

I was really just commenting on the pleasant surprise at the farm shop the other day - a nice touch I thought  - particularly from a working farm with plenty to do.

Paul B3 - you're right - luckily the track to the farm shop is long, muddy and pot holed so maybe that puts the villains offimage

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,443

It's a really nice thing to do, but if news like that got out around here they'd have hundreds of people who had never been there before, circling the place for the freebies.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 1,877

Philippa

Your 'long muddy track full of pot-holes' sounds like some of our rapidly deteriorating back-lanes around here !image ;  a customer of ours with a large black Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 literally broke his rear axle two weeks ago on a particularly nasty pot-hole .

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,500
    Paul B3 says:

a customer of ours with a large black Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 literally broke his rear axle two weeks ago on a particularly nasty pot-hole .

See original post

Possibly travelling a tad expeditiously at the time........

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,880

10 out of 10 for the use of the word " expeditiously".

"long muddy tracks full of pot holes" perfectly describes some the entrances to our customers' farms.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,276

I dunno - with speed certainly but not with efficiency if he ends up with a broken axel.   The local council here has a special truck that goes round the smaller roads after winter filling in any cracks and potholes before they get serious in the summer heat.  Leaves the road surface with patchwork rectangles but does the job.

The Vendée, France
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,302

Our first house in France was situated in the middle of a large Oak forest. Once off the village road, the roads to the various farms, etc. were just narrow tracks.

At various points, heaps of gravel/ballast WHY were dumped for the residents to repair the tracks as and when needed.

Worked extremely well but that was back in the late 80's so perhaps even that has changed by now.

The farm I mentioned at the beginning of this thread does try to fill in the potholes but the necessary use of farm machinery up and down means any temporary repairs don't last too long.  It is a private road so no one can really complain - we all just drive slowly and carefullyimage