Forum home Plants

Mystery Plant

Good morning. I have a small shrub in a house I moved in to. It has some odd fruit around 3/4 inch across that look like a Tiny pumpkin. When cut open it looks more like an apple. I assume inedible, but does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?imageimage

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,035

Looks very quince like to me. Mine looks the same this time of year

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,379

I agree with Pete8, they definitely look like quince fruit. They are tough to eat and usually used in cooking. Keep an eye on your plant. If it's Chaenomeles Japonica/Speciosa, you should start to see buds forming and eventually blossoms early next year depending on where you are. Not sure about 3-4 inches across, but the one taken with your hand looks like a quince fruit.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,830

They're the ornamental quince, Chaenomales japonica, not the culinary quince which is a Cydonia.

The ornamental quince can still be used to flavour jams and jellies etc, and is fabulous chopped up and stuffed inside and around potroasted pheasants or goose ... the fruit breaks down a bit and flavours the surrounding juices and makes a wonderful sauce when strained.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks I meant three quarters of an inch. My first guess was quince but in my mind quince look like bumpy pears Which is what made me doubt. I’ll check what the flowers look like next year. 

• They are absolutely Japanese quince and can be used to make the most fantastic jam.