Forum home Problem solving

My Plant is dying. I need help!

Hi, everyone! I am new to this so bare with me. I have a few plants up against my fence that surround the palm in the middle that are having trouble(not sure what they are) . The plant on the right has been losing its leaves for the last 6 months and is starting too look naked. Can anyone please help me revive it or tell me what they think might be wrong? I am a new homeowner, who’s still learning, and do not want it to die. Thank you for the help.. I’m in Southern California if that helps

Last edited: 23 December 2017 00:50:22

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,119

This is a mainly British site but there are many very knowledgeable people on here so you may be lucky. It would help to put some information about the plant - what it is - your soil type, and a close up picture of the leaves. Good luck.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

Hello Bigcombat

Firstly , I don't envy you your climate ! I'm a cool weather lover image Plant ID would be a great help .

If you can get some close-up pictures of your plants , as Posy says , we should be able to assist .

Soil type certainly applies , but looking at the size of the shrubs , they have obviously been OK all these years!

Lack of a constant water supply could be a problem ; what's happening beyond the fence ? Any sort of ground work occurring which may be affecting your shrub ?

Try to 'get back' to us when you can image

• imageimage

Hello, thank you for the response. I have attached 3 pictures. The first is a picture close up fo the leaves. The second is a picture of what is beyond the fence, a slope with rocks coveringimage

This is third picture of what the plant looked like when I moved in. Nice and full?

Hopefully this helps?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502

I think that your shrub may be showing the effects of drought. I'd give it three buckets full of water every other day until you get some regjlar heavy rains. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

The general rule is :- the larger a plant becomes , the more water it will require .

Looking at that rock-slope beyond the fence , I would say you are losing a high percentage of your rainfall due to 'run-off' . image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,989

Pretty sure it's drought. Have you watered them at all since you moved in? As Dove says, at least 3 buckets at a time or it won't sink right down into the soil around the roots. Planted really close to the fence with a slope on the other side means they won't be getting much water unless you give it to them. The previous owner of your house must have watered regularly.

Dordogne and Norfolk