Auto reel hoses, Hozelock or Gardena

Any  thoughts on which brand is best for an auto reel hose would be appreciated?

Either the 30 mtr. Hozelock autoreel or the Gardena 35 mtr.

thank you in advance.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,652

I've had a 40m Hozelock auomatic for several years and have been very happy with it.   It does jam occasionally on rewind these days but is easy to sort out.  We've brought it with us to this garden.

I also had a Gardena, no kink 40m hose I bought in 1991 on its own hand wound reel.  The hose pipe lasted many years longer than the reel and was kink free for 24 years but then got a bit kinky and stiff so we left it behind.

The Vendée, France
  • i10ki10k Posts: 14

I've got one of the Hozelock wall-mounted auto reel thingies.  Same as the one on the link here, although mine is green not grey: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Auto-Reel-assorted-colors/dp/B000PBUF5O

Unit itself is great - nice spooling and rewinding mechanism, with an audible click as the ratchet kicks in for every metre or so of hose released.  The hose it came with however is dreadful cheap rubbish that kinks as soon as you look at it.  Replaced the hose with one from Karcher and it's now a much better unit.

I have mine mounted on the wall down the side passage (near the outside tap), and find with the swivel action it covers both front and rear gardens easily, while tucking neatly against the wall out of the way when not needed.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,652

My hose pipe came with the reel and is very good quality.  I should hope so as it wasn't cheap.

The Vendée, France
  • The Gardena version is much more expensive but I’m prepared to pay the wxtra if it’s worth it.

I'm replacing an existing Hozelock version which gave good service.  My only quibbles with the Hozelock were the hose kinking and how fierce the recoil could be.

I‘ve also read that the Gardena has a better Flow rate, less water pressure is lost, but not sure how true this is.