Forum home Problem solving

Thomson & Morgan seed catalogue

Just tried to order a thomson and Morgan seed catalogue is that right it cost £3 for one .

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374

time we stopped ordering paper catalogues, Everything is on line now, think about the trees

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,891

I’m with Nut, almost all my junk mail has stopped because I visit the site an ask for email notifications when their catalogues are out. The worse one was Unwins, such a waste of paper (not for me, it’s composted) but I’m sure others would just put it in the recycle bin and we all know where that goes! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

If we all stopped using paper or other timber products Finland would go bust.  Repeat after me!  Trees for most wooden products are a crop.  One unsustainable use of tropical hardwoods is for the stamps the Japanese use instead of signing documents.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,987

Before we condemn paper permanently just think about the ecological/  carbon footprint of the internet! Have you not seen the images of warehouse size buildings full of air conditioned rooms housing banks & banks of servers all using power & churning out heat. Not to mention all the rare earth elements used in the electronics industry. I like a paper catalogue but agree we don't need 3-4 a year.

AB Still learning

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964

Do I detect another 'row' on the forum ? image

• B3B3 Posts: 21,468

We have discussions or debates - not rowsimage

A good old  rant is excellent therapy for frustrated gardeners at this time of year. 

Last edited: 18 December 2017 21:16:42

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,891

The OP and everyone else in this discussion is talking about bombardments of junk mail through the letter box straight on the compost heap or recycling box, not private letters.

of course we need to accept these things, the postman would be out of job otherwise, we already have only one collection, 9am in the morning. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,987

I think we are broadly in agreement here, it's the unnecessary packaging /junk mail  and 3-4 copies of the same thing a year  we don't need. The classic is mens formal shirts I can't remember who it was now but there was a story that a well known person used to go to the checkout take the shirt out of the plastic  all the cardboard clips & stiffeners etc & say loudly to the perplexed cashier "here this is what I want you can keep the rest" . This was 20 or 30 years ago pehaps if more of us had done that sort of thing the manufacturers might have got the message sooner.  

AB Still learning