Bird seed feeders

Hi All,

Who would you recommend as an online retailer for upright seed feeders regarding cost and quality.

Thanks M

• LynLyn Posts: 8,402

Ebay for me, or, I have bought some in Wilco.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

Do you have squirrels in your area? If so you'll need much sturdier squirrel-proof feeders which will be more expensive. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

I have these but you can get similar on eBay for around the same price, usually an offer on if you buy a set of 3 different ones. 

http://www.wilko.com/seeds+feeders/wilko-wild-bird-seed-cage-feeder/invt/0298740

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 743

I only buy bird food and feeders from the RSPB.  Not cheap, but you know you're getting the best quality.  Also I like to know my money's going to an environmental charity rather than the retail giants.

For anyone who feels that they should buy from RSPB thinking they are helping birds, google ‘How much charity money actually goes to RSPB’.  Aparantly they are a Pension Fund first, Charity second. 

Unfortunately as  it’s not very much,  I would rather buy cheaper feeders and more of them, same with the food.  At least that way you are directly helping the birds.

thats what I do anyway, I don’t shoot foxes and deer in order to preserve our birds, just supply lots of cover and nesting places. 

• WateryWatery Posts: 387

Lyn, I don't agree with everything the RSPB does/says but I used your google search term and found that RSPB is spending about 3% of donations to plug pension hole and that some of the other claims were from game hunting groups/Ian Botham and if you look at how their donations are spent, a lot are spent on education/publicising issues re environment and the "only 24%" for reserves is because they do lots more than just reserves.  I don't buy their stuff because it's too expensive.  Some of their advice is silly or just wrong and I think they should do more in educating general public about dangers of trichimonas and bird flu and that the general public has a role in prevention for both (esp backyard chicken/duck owners) but I appreciate lots of the info on their websites and they also help lobby for farmers to do more to help birds.    Not saying you should be giving them your money; just pointing out that some facts seem to have been misinterpreted a bit.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 838

I read your links too Lyn. The criticism stems from shooing pressure groups who have many of their facts wrong. Don’t believe what they say. The RSPB has been very critical of management of grouse shooting moorland, particularlay the North York Moors. Ian Bothams group is a reaction to that. His son rears thousands of Red Grouse for release for shooting. This is how he earns his living. 

The RSPB does masses for conservation and I am happy to continue supporting them.

• ShepsSheps Posts: 596

In the name of conservation, the RSPB openly admits to shooting and poisoning hundreds of birds each year.

Surely a charity going by the name of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds should not distinguish between which species of bird it chooses to protect.

Maybe they should change their name to the Royal Society for the Protection of some Birds.

• WateryWatery Posts: 387

One thing I definitely agree with Lyn about is that Wilkos is a great place to get inexpensive but sturdy bird feeders that aren't too hard to take apart to clean.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 838
    Sheps says:

In the name of conservation, the RSPB openly admits to shooting and poisoning hundreds of birds each year.

See original post

I do not believe this. Please provide links to support this assertion.