Kites

There were seven kites circling over the house yesterday.  I can see them circling a short distance away today too. They love muck-spreading time.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

They're spreading our way now, I love to see them

• Lucky you WO  - haven't seen one for a long time.  Happy watchingimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,495

I have never seen one, though of course we see lots of buzzards - once a rare treat. A kite has been spotted on the Isle of Wight, but not down my end. Must be a wonderful experience.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,200

We've seen quite a few  Red Kites when visiting South Lincs and now we're beginning to see them in North Norfolk ... beautiful birds image

Lots of buzzards around here too ... we see them wheeling in the sky over our garden, although we're on the edge of a city ... and of course, Norwich has its breeding pair of Peregrine falcons at the cathedral image

Last edited: 14 December 2017 16:55:11

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,390

I see loads of Buzzards as well Posy,mostly catching the thermals over Newport before they head off to the countryside.I saw a Kite on Mottistone Down (I.O.W.) about 2 years ago! Couldn't believe it. My sister lives in the Chilterns where Kites are an everyday sight so to see one down here was great.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • I've seen them in Wales and over Didcot shopping centre (kind of weird!) and just a couple of times here. One flew right overhead across the dam as we were standing by the pond. Could hardly believe it but  those angled wings and the size make them unmistakeable. Really exciting and hope they will become more frequent visitors.

We can see well into Wales from the top of our hill, and we can also see the Dee estuary if the tide is in and the light is right to glint on the water.

We have had another visitor during this last bout of snow, there has been a stonechat hanging about when I've been feeding the sheep. They are supposed to be mainly coastal birds, but the terrain is right and it is clearly not too far from the sea for them. No distance for a kite to travel from Wales then!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,200

Red kites used to be very common in town centres    "...  in medieval times, it fed in the streets of London (where it was given special protection for its useful role in cleansing the streets)." 

http://www.northernkites.org.uk/kites.htm 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Around 20 or so feed around here, maybe more, many people feed them. 

• Love Red Kites and I've seen plenty around my town and outlying villages. But frustratingly I continue to fail to see them from my garden.  So frustrating when a neighbour says "There was a Kite over your garden again today". I was probably picking my nose and looking the other way!  Grrrrrr!